PC Programming cable for Siemens S7-200

spd33y

Hello,

I am currently doing a Siemens PLC course at TAFE (Australian after school education).

I have purchased a Siemens S7-222 PLC so I can do my own experimentation at home and also have downloaded the Microwin demo software.

I have purchased a RS-232 > RS-485 adaptor, and I just need to confirm what cabling I need to make to finally program the PLC.

Is it a standard RS-232 cable from the PC to the Converter, then a standard RS-485 cable from the converter to the PLC?

I think I am on the correct path, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your feedback!

S7-200 programming cable

Hello spd33y!

The easyest way is to bye a cable from Siemens.
An RS232/PPI Multi-Master Cable
order nr. 6ES7 901-3CB30-0AX0.
Download free software Step7-MicroWin 60days from siemens http://www.automation.siemens.com/_en/s7-200/support/tools_downloads/microwin.html

Plug it in the serial port on PC and port 0/1 on PLC,
Go to the menu and select the right PLC, and it schould be ready

It is also possible to get an USB-cable

Good Luck
hjajoe

I think the cable is expensive to buy in Australia.

I have already gone down the path of buying the RS-232>RS-485 adaptor, if possible and without to much hassal, I would prefer to make the two cables and go from there.

Hi

How it said Crossbow "Just buy the cable and dont waste the time...". Here in this forum you can find opinions about this type homemade cables.
Price: PC/PPI 6ES7 901-3CB30-0XA0 is 119 EURO (at Germany's border)
USB/PPI 6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0 is 139 EURO (at Germany's border)

regards

Last edited:
Hello!
spd33y!
I used the RS232>RS485 cable with S7-200 PLC even;it's a good way if none S7-200 PPI/USB cable.but I don't know that your problem now.it's can't communication with PLC between computer?

I already have the RS-232 to RS-485 converter.

I want to know if I can just make standard RS-232 and RS-485 cables and joing them with the converter.

Or the pin outs for the two cables would be even better.

If I make an RS-232 cable (DB9-DB9) is this the null modem type of cable?

Last edited:
spd33y:

The amount of trouble that you will have, the time spend on it and latter ... Wich you luck.
I have no doubts that you can do it on your on, but can you imagine going to a site to program a Siemens PLC and the costumer see you with a "home made" cable...What he will think??

Anyway, to learning purposes I hope you can do it...

Regards,
Miguel