RSView Enterprise heartburn.

bobwithdana

I have to make a decesion on when to ask our some 75 programmers here to upgrade to RSView studio version 5.0. After what I went through going from version 3.2 to 4.0 I am deathly afraid.

Any idea if it will be as bad?

Thanks Bob

Here, on the test systems, and one production system, the inplace-upgrade to FT SE (V5) went fine, with no problems.

I have just this week identified a bug somewhere in 5.0 relating to VBA though, so you might want to think about it if VBA is important to you. The bug I've found, is that from 2.x through 4.x, you could reliably and easily call public subs from one display to another.

With 5.x, calling a sub with no parameters works, but calling a sub that takes a parameter will almost 100% of the time, result in the parameter being read as null or nothing or empty. It seems to be a timing problem, somewhere, as if you step through the routines in a debugger, this hasn't happenned.

I'm looking currently into replacing the SE Display's that do this, with forms based off of the current window, but that won't help me in all cases.

I don't know if Rockwell has any info on this yet, and honestly, I don't feel like trying to deal with them on the support line today, or this week.

We let Rockwell handle the conversion. There were some surprises, but they seem to have gotten everything converted.

Better them than me.

Not too bad...

Funny you should post...I was going to make the same post myself a couple of days ago. I upgraded to 5.0 two days ago without too many speed bumps...Certainly not the nightmare it was going to 4.0

There are a few bugs, one is where it doesn't recognize your activations. This is a known bug and the software will keep running, even if it tells you the activations weren't found.

I find the new ActiveX alarm banner nice. I also like the new ALMD and ALMA instructions in 5000 to work in conjunction with this new banner. No more alarm tags in the HMI! (if you choose)

Greg

I’m an end user. Someone else writes and usually installs the program and hardware. I am the only AB programmer here. The other guy is a die in the wool Modicon person. We’re both in our sixties and were line electricians turn programmers. Very little computer savvy. Yet some how I converted to 5 with no assistance. But I only have 3 1000 plus’s on the floor. One with some pretty impressive programming that works. Not even our local AB rep can figure out how he does it, but it does work. Woo to me the day I have to change it.

Pat

To be a little more specific about my concerns, I am not looking at udating any panelviews as I can create any backward compatable runtime for any panelview in the field. Even when a vendor ships a panelview firware version 5.0 I can download a 4.0 runtime to it and it runs fine.

My concern is this, When I upgraded my 75 PC's to version 4.0 software simply because vendors were only able to supply 4.0 .APA backup files it was painfull. PC's with less than a GIG of ram virtually stopped and I dont need to mention the version 4.0 user accounts blowing up if everyones local factory talk directory isnt exactly the same.

So my question is more in the direction of issues relating to updating the PC's whether we acually develop in Version 5 or not. Already I have one panelview that is developed in Version 5.0 with an .APA file I cannot open.

Thanks Bob