PVP 700 comms with SLC 5/03

Fourpaw

Hey folks,

I have to replace one PVP700 with another (screen flicker issues).

Unfortunately previous guy didn't backup relevant apa OR mer files for others (like me) to access.

We do have other PVP's around the plant but this is the 1st one I've had to replace.

1st, uploaded mer file from running PVP700 onto a flash card.
2nd, downloaded said mer file to the new PVP700 from flash card.
3rd, when prompted to overwrite comms I accepted.

Seems simple right? Yeah ok.

....Comms did not work. No Goto Config Button....

Had to get a utility flash file from rockwell to reset the PVP700. Now I'm stuck.

The flickering PVP700 is set to run DF1 to SLC 5/03.

Directory tree on Comm setup (on PVP) is as follows;
Serial DF1
- Panelview Plus 700, 3
- VB17SL 2
- Ethernet 2
PLC1221, 1

On new PVP700 after loading file;
Virtual Backplane
<No Device>

Ethernet
<No Device>

Serial DF1
<No Device>

Comm settings on SLC reamin at;
Ch 1 - DH485, 19200, Node 1
Ch 0 - DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 (defaults)

--- --- --- --- --- ---- --- --- ---

Would anyone have a step by step plan on how to make this work?

So I have;
SLC5/03, can communicate with 1747-PIC
PVP 700 2711P-B7C4D1 ser. A, can get it to communicate via ethernet but not DF1.
CP3 cable with Null adapter
1GB Compact Flash PC Card.

Thanks,
Four

Cable for PV RS232 port is a straight thru cable.

StraightThruCable_1.jpg

Last edited:
You probably need to do this to get a working project back:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=34802&highlight=mer

Then you can rebuild your comms path using Linx Enterprise and download that.

An alternative may be to download a dummy project with the needed comm path. Just make sure you put a button in the dummy project to let you get to the panel control screens. Then start the project you uploaded from the old PVP. I think it will use the last comm path downloaded to it.

I suggest the first method. Ultimately you will want a working copy of the application anyway.

Keith

Still stumped fellas;

Built the apa and created a new mer file.
My biggest problem (all along) is the communications config between PVP and SLC 5/03 over straight cable.

Again, the working/ flickering PVP has a RSlinx Enterprise Config as follows.

Serial DF1
- Panelview Plus 700, 3
- VB17SL 2
- Ethernet 2

-PLC1221, 1

Closest I can come with the new PVP RSlinx Enterprise Config is;

VirtualBackplane
<No Devices>
Serial DF1
-Panelview Plus 700, 3
- 1789-A1 Virtual Chassis 2
- Ethernet 2

-SLC-5/03 Processor, 1
- DH-485

-Ethernet
Panelview Plus, 169.254.6.17
- 1789-A17 Virtual Chassis

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Good thing it's not a rush job !!

My guess is you don't have your shortcut defined at all or it is defined incorrectly.

Open up any button or data field on any screen on the HMI. Under the 'Connection' tab you will see the tags the field is trying to read. The first thing you will see in the field is the shortcut name in brackets.

In the Communication Setup section of Linx Enterprise you need to add this shortcut name and point it to the plc you are working with. Remember, this definition needs to be made under the 'Target' tab.

Keith

That shortcut set-up doesn't look like it made it to the PVP. I'm assuming that when you downloaded the app from your PC to the PVP that you checked the 'Replace Comms' box? Also, you were looking at the 'Target' tab when you looked at the PLC1221 shortcut.

One thing I have had happen to me on occasion when setting shortcuts is I don't pay attention to where the cursor is in the right hand box. You can have the PLC shown in the comm tree but not selected when you apply the changes to the shortcut. The shortcut will define any device that is selected when you press apply.

You may want to try and post a screen shot of your Linx Enterprise set-up in the project with the shortcut selected so we can see what you have.

Keith