Data Monitoring

ghaulk

I am looking for a way to monitor data from and Allen Bradely SLC 5/03 Processor that is currently used on a piece of equipment we have. The boss wants to add a monitor in the cabinet where we can track various data points realtime. We currently use a Versa View Industrial PC Touchscreen for machine control. We use Visual Basic to write our interface. He wants to have a seperate screen just to monitor certain variables so that the machine can be operated while still being able to see this info. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?
Thanks

When you say second screen, are you thinking of another PC or just a second monitor?

If the versa view has an extra slot, you may be able to add a second video card and run dual monitors.

I just want a monitor. I thought about running off of the Versa View, but I'm not sure how to seperate the data. In other words how to see one thing on one screen and something different on the other. To give you an idea of what he wants, we were using the RS Logix online one day and we had a trending screen up and was monitoring some temps and pressures. He liked that idea and wanted this to be displayed on a seperate monitor.

Try looking into a cheaper touch screen such as RedLion, or Automation Direct. Both have a way to talk to the 5/03, and also have ethernet ports. The Redlion I understand can be used as a protocol converter. Therefore, you can go online with the 5/03, via ethernet. The Automation Direct does not have this option. The Redlion, also has a Macro editor, so you can write code in a C like language. Also, both screens have built in web servers, so you can simply type the IP address into your browser, and see an instant screen shot of what is happening. Unfortunately, they only update every 10 seconds or so. There are various sizers so just size accordingly.

Once you get used to these screens, you may prefer using them over the double/triple priced AB options.

I have actually used quite a few Automation Direct screens. They are the small C-More version. I did think of doing that, and I would have to change out the processor to a 5/05, but that's not a real problem. I wasn't sure if two screens could talk to the processor at the same time?? 1 would be using serial and the other ethernet.

You should not have to change the processor. If the serial connection is available on the 5/03, you can by or make a cable to connect to it.

If you are already using the serial connection, you can add a 1747-AIC to the PLC to put it on a DH485 network, then use a 1761 NET AIC for the touch screen to put it on the DH485 network.

If you use the REDLION, (from what I understand, have never tried), you can run an ethernet cable back to your office, and be able to program thru the REDLION screen.

With either the REDLION or the AD, if you run the ethernet cable, you can enable the web server and have screen shots of the process from your office. You can also build yourself a data historian and access it from you office as well.

bguinn is right about being albe to program the PLC via an Ethernet connection, assuming that you connect us to the 232 port of the SLC using DF1. Our port sharing feature requires 3rd party software (available for free) that creates a virtual serial port on your PC, and you cannot assign the PIC driver to a virtual port.

Regards,
Dan

I am so very sorry for the bad choice of words. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

I would not have recommended your product if I didn't have he utmost confidence in its ability to do what he is asking for and then some.

Thanks for the correction, I will be more careful next time.

MikeGranby said:

Mike is obviously coughing cos he runs at a high profit margin :) !

DanYost said:
By <Cough!> Mike means inexpensive is a better description of our HMIs.

Joking aside - Redlion Rocks, Cost effective superb HMI's with the best support from any manufacturer i have ever come across to date.

Thanks guys. I spoke with my rep at our local McNaughton-McKay and he told me of a splitter that can be used for that purpose. (1747-DSP1) He said I should be able to connect our existing touchscreen and another screen through the second port on the splitter. Although he knew their PanelView would work, he said anyones screen should work as well. If anyone has used this before, I would like to know, otherwise I will keep you posted on my progress.

bguinn said:
I am so very sorry for the bad choice of words. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

No apology needed!!! I wasn't offended. I was just joking. Your comment are more than welcome, whatever words you choose!