Force input points in SIS PLC

saparna

I wanted to ask if it was ok to disable & force points in a SIS plc. If so , can we keep it forced for 5 years till next turnaround by following proper documentation. If not, then should we try to resolve this issue in the field instead of disabling...
We have currently disabled point for vibration probe on a compressor & since can't shutdown the compressor anytime soon should be go ahead keep it disabled

It depends.....

In effect you are bypassing an SIS protected function. Only your company knows what safety situation lead to installing an SIS system. So only your company knows what the consequences of bypassing a protected function might be.

A lot will depend on how much weight your company puts on the safety of your people. At my facility, safety is truly first, we can only override a SIS function for one shift, just long enough to repair it. (Even then, we have to fill at a lot of paper to justify not just shutting down, and the plant manager has to approve the temporary bypass, all operators and maintenance people have to sign off as well.) If it cannot be repaired without shutting down, then we shut down. Safety first. If it cannot be repaired in one shift, shut it down, safety first.

If you view the situation from a safety stand point, what you are asking to do is not acceptable. You can argue about the loss in production, but how much is someone getting injured or killed worth?