Gsg????!!

ABDELAAL

hi everyone,

would you please help me in that?
I know the ".gsd" files are those of profibus instruments to be connected to plc , but what are the ( .gsg and .gss and .gsf )??? i found these files when i was downloading some ".gsd" files

ABDELAAL said:
hi everyone,

would you please help me in that?
I know the ".gsd" files are those of profibus instruments to be connected to plc , but what are the ( .gsg and .gss and .gsf )??? i found these files when i was downloading some ".gsd" files

It just means the language they are written in

gss- spanish
gse- english
etc.....

usually fieldbus network (such as profibus, devicenet etc.) will have one master (PLC) and bunch of slaves (any device that speaks selected protocol, could be I/Os, valve banks etc.).

to make the network actually work, you must tell master what kind of slave devices are connected and how to handle them. since they can be very different, each device will have "datasheet" in form of GSD file (or GSE, GSF etc. if you prefer language other than Deutch which is German, this is why it's D in GSD and French would be GSF etc.)

since processors only care about numbers (don't care about human languages) you can use French or Spanish version of "GSD".

one "datasheet" such as GSD is simply spec sheet that tells the Profibus configurator software what is the name of device(s) supported by the datasheet and what are valid settings (supported speeds, supported I/O bock size etc.) because same device may or may not accept different settings.
for example (just to give you an idea) you may have VFD drives that can only use one byte in (start, stop, direction and maybe remaining bits that would select one of the preset speeds in the drive) and one byte out (running forward, running reverse, torque limit reached, speed limit reached, faulted etc.)
Tihs is very minimalistic but it also means that message to and from that drive is small (and can be transfered faster on same network speed - could be handy if you are forced to make cuts or if this is all you need).
on other hand that same device (if configured correctly) may support more parameters where instead of bits you can set or get values (actual torque, actual speed etc.)
Software tool that is used to create configuration for your network master would then be used to:
1. import datasheets of new device types (some standard parts are usually already in the "library" or "catalogue")
2. add devices that are going to be used from library/catalog to project
3. assign addresses to each device (each node must have unique number)
4. configure each node (select how many I/Os will each device actually use etc. in case of master specify network speed for example etc.)
5. specify where in master (PLC) will I/Os of each slave be mapped (check for overlapping I/O areas etc.)
6. download finished nework configuration to master
7. allow some basic diagnostic and/or monitoring of the network

Few notes:
- use profibus cable - if you can't (for whatever reason) start with low speed and test if higher speeds are possible

- terminators for different fieldbusses are diffreent (profibus uses 3 resistors; devicenet, CC link, compobus etc use single resistor, then there is RC for modbus etc. values are different so use proper one).

- use terminators properly (must be on ends - and only on ends of each segment). there are ready connectors for this with switchable terminator. note that when terminator is turned on, second leg is disconnected (this is meant as aid in troubleshooting and comissioning so you can gradually increase size of the network).

- One of the Profibus features if that bus speed is only set at master. Slaves addopt this speed (as long as they can support it).

- you can have up to 32 nodes in one bus segment. more is possible (up to some 127 or so) but you must use repeaters.

- each bus segment is a bus ("line") but repeaters allow two segments to be connected in "T" for example

good luck

panic mode said:
usually fieldbus network (such as profibus, devicenet etc.) will have one master (PLC) and bunch of slaves (any device that speaks selected protocol, could be I/Os, valve banks etc.).

to make the network actually work, you must tell master what kind of slave devices are connected and how to handle them. since they can be very different, each device will have "datasheet" in form of GSD file (or GSE, GSF etc. if you prefer language other than Deutch which is German, this is why it's D in GSD and French would be GSF etc.)

since processors only care about numbers (don't care about human languages) you can use French or Spanish version of "GSD".

one "datasheet" such as GSD is simply spec sheet that tells the Profibus configurator software what is the name of device(s) supported by the datasheet and what are valid settings (supported speeds, supported I/O bock size etc.) because same device may or may not accept different settings.
for example (just to give you an idea) you may have VFD drives that can only use one byte in (start, stop, direction and maybe remaining bits that would select one of the preset speeds in the drive) and one byte out (running forward, running reverse, torque limit reached, speed limit reached, faulted etc.)
Tihs is very minimalistic but it also means that message to and from that drive is small (and can be transfered faster on same network speed - could be handy if you are forced to make cuts or if this is all you need).
on other hand that same device (if configured correctly) may support more parameters where instead of bits you can set or get values (actual torque, actual speed etc.)
Software tool that is used to create configuration for your network master would then be used to:
1. import datasheets of new device types (some standard parts are usually already in the "library" or "catalogue")
2. add devices that are going to be used from library/catalog to project
3. assign addresses to each device (each node must have unique number)
4. configure each node (select how many I/Os will each device actually use etc. in case of master specify network speed for example etc.)
5. specify where in master (PLC) will I/Os of each slave be mapped (check for overlapping I/O areas etc.)
6. download finished nework configuration to master
7. allow some basic diagnostic and/or monitoring of the network

Few notes:
- use profibus cable - if you can't (for whatever reason) start with low speed and test if higher speeds are possible

- terminators for different fieldbusses are diffreent (profibus uses 3 resistors; devicenet, CC link, compobus etc use single resistor, then there is RC for modbus etc. values are different so use proper one).

- use terminators properly (must be on ends - and only on ends of each segment). there are ready connectors for this with switchable terminator. note that when terminator is turned on, second leg is disconnected (this is meant as aid in troubleshooting and comissioning so you can gradually increase size of the network).

- One of the Profibus features if that bus speed is only set at master. Slaves addopt this speed (as long as they can support it).

- you can have up to 32 nodes in one bus segment. more is possible (up to some 127 or so) but you must use repeaters.

- each bus segment is a bus ("line") but repeaters allow two segments to be connected in "T" for example

good luck

dear panic mode

first thank you much indeed ,your reply was of great help and you 've explained it very clearly. some points arose with your post about terminator when turned on or off?would you please clear it more?

thanks again
best regards

bus is just a straight connection with several nodes connected to it (all nodes are connected in parallel). one must add terminators at the ends of a bus (only on most distant ends of the bus). usually profibus connectors already have terminator built in with a switch that allows turning terminator on or off. since this is a bus, connectors have place for terminating two cables (1 and 2 or comming and going or in and out). if terminator is off it doesn't matter which cable is where (as long as wiring is still correct) but if the terminator is turned on, that same switch will also have second cable disconnected from bus (look for marking on the connector or talk to your distributor).

profibus:
http://www.profibus.com/
http://www.profibus.com/pb/technology/description/

cable:
http://www.northwire.com/directProfiDPSpec.php

tipical connector:
http://www.automation.siemens.com/simatic/dp/html_00/produkte/fastcon.htm

if you look at connectors specs you will see signal+, signal-, shield, +5V and 0V. the +5V and 0V are only used for terminator.

Back
Top Bottom