Source for liquid sensor

allscott

I am looking for a sensor that activates when it gets wet. I need it to either switch a set of contacts or trigger a 24V sink PLC card. I know I've seen one of these before that looked like a hockey puck and seemed to work good but I can't remember who made it.

Does anyone know of a sensor like this that they could recommend? Google just can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Allscott,

This may not work for you. I have used a micro switch with a lever actuator and an asprin tablet to hold the lever up. when the tablet gets wet it softens and the lever moves down. It helps to bend the lever so only the very end is in contact with the tablet. The advantage of this setup is it can sense the very bottom of a cabinet or the floor. Thus the cabinet or room does not need to have a half an inch of water to trip the alarm.

The omron system consists of a controller (this can be used as a single probe system or two probe i.e. on/off on probe level or on when top level covered & off bottom level uncovered).

However these are no good on oil based liquids you would need a capacitive probe or a mowbrey type float switch.
the controller has a relay output with two inputs + ground it uses the resistance of the liquid to detect between the probe(s) & the ground connection.

Alaric said:
Instead of looking next door look in the backyard. 🍺

I tried the backyard, just never thought of searching for wet floor sensor. :)
Anyway thanks for the link, I think the waterbug will do exactly what I am looking for.

Milldrone I like your ingenuity. It might be interesting trying to write a SOP on what to do when the sensor "trips" though.

allscott said:
I am looking for a sensor that activates when it gets wet. I need it to either switch a set of contacts or trigger a 24V sink PLC card. I know I've seen one of these before that looked like a hockey puck and seemed to work good but I can't remember who made it.

Does anyone know of a sensor like this that they could recommend? Google just can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I would recommend Endress and Hausser brand of sensor. I`m using it in all my level controll in all types of liquid application.

Regards:(y)

Sherwin

allscott said:

I will recommend Endress and Hausser sensor. I`ll been using it in all of my liquid type application.

Regards:(y)

Sherwin

Sorry I`ll sent it twice