AutoMax serial to usb com problem

Fusedbrain

Guys,

I have a HP 8710W laptop that I'm using to communicate to a AutoMax 7010 processor (57C435). I'm using a Keyspan USA-19HS serial to usb adapter but so far I've been unable to communicate with the processor. The processor is ok since I can talk to it with a laptop with built in serial ports. I would appreciate any advice you might have on the subject. I've read some posts and it looks like I might have to buy a PCMCIA serial adapter, however I'd like to know if anyone has had the same problem before I proceed.

Please let me know.

Fusedbrain

ps I have to say that this site is a great resource. Thanks.

Make sure that your USB/serial adapter gets set up to be COM1 or whatever COM port your software is trying to use. Getting that right is not a guarantee that yours will work with the AutoMax software, but not getting it right is a guarantee that it won't.

Hey there,

Settings for my serial port is Com 1 and I've verified the serial port speeds as well. I've actually tried all the settings that the Keyspan interface offers. I've also verified that the com port settings in windows are ok as well (control panel/system/hardware)

Thanks,

Fusedbrain

I have gone on line with Automax using a USB to serial adapter (generic brand) after I set it to com2 (I have a real serial port at com1), this unit will also work with Micrologix and SLC on DF1. I will try the Rockwell USB to serial adapter when I get back to work next week.

Alan

Fusedbrain said:
Guys,

I have a HP 8710W laptop that I'm using to communicate to a AutoMax 7010 processor (57C435). I'm using a Keyspan USA-19HS serial to usb adapter but so far I've been unable to communicate with the processor. The processor is ok since I can talk to it with a laptop with built in serial ports. I would appreciate any advice you might have on the subject. I've read some posts and it looks like I might have to buy a PCMCIA serial adapter, however I'd like to know if anyone has had the same problem before I proceed.

Please let me know.

Fusedbrain

ps I have to say that this site is a great resource. Thanks.
Hi,
I am not familier with your system but i have had similar problems with USB to serial adapters. Depending on the brand of adapter depends on how good the driver for it was written just by changing adapter brands may help.

DeepThought

Fusedbrain said:
Guys,

I have a HP 8710W laptop that I'm using to communicate to a AutoMax 7010 processor (57C435). I'm using a Keyspan USA-19HS serial to usb adapter but so far I've been unable to communicate with the processor. The processor is ok since I can talk to it with a laptop with built in serial ports...

Are both PCs using the same operating system?

I can remember using Automax (forget which rev...) software on Windown2000, but I think there were some hurdles.

Also, what revision of Automax are you running?

Hey guys,

Once again thanks for the input and your time.

I've tried Com2 and Com1. Operating system on both laptops is Windows XP pro. There are some issues with AutoMax timing out with Windows XP but I've applied the proper changes and tweaks to both my laptops. These tweaks are rather simple and are not the cause of my com problems. From what I can read here there is a problem with USB to Serial adapters with some legacy applications.

I've since borrowed a PCMCIA serial adapter and I got online right away, so I'll be buying one in the very near future. Any thoughts on what the best make is?

Cheers guys and thanks once again.

Fusedbrain

Automax is version 4.3

I have beem using ones from Quatech.com I have a PCMCIA version and an express card version (for my new laptop which no longer has a PCMCIA Slot!) Both have been extremely reliable for any equipment so far. Price is around $140.00