380V to 24V??

Cryogen

We have a standard PLC control panel that can accept 110V or 220V AC. We have a 24V power supply inside to power the PLC, touch screen etc.

Our customer wants our control panel to accept 380V. I would imagine our options are
1. we convert the 380V to 220V/110V or
2. find a 24V power supply that can accept 380V.

Is this possible?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are lots of PSUs that can convert from 2 or 3 phase 380V to 24VDC.
Siemens has one that can go from 110 VAC to 440 VAC which we use. Look for the SITOP range of PSUs.

Thanks guys!! I have lot of options now.

Just a basic question. If they connect the 3 phases to the 24V power supply, do they have to connect L1,L2,L3 and Neutral. So is it 380V between each phase and neutral.

Cryogen said:
Thanks guys!! I have lot of options now.

Just a basic question. If they connect the 3 phases to the 24V power supply, do they have to connect L1,L2,L3 and Neutral. So is it 380V between each phase and neutral.
L1 L2 L3 and Ground for the ones I've used.

Cryogen said:
Is this possible?

Oh, come on. The customer is either in Europe or in some other country that follows European standard for power, right? 380 V three-phase, 220 V single-phase, 50 Hz. Well, you can always bring just two phase leads into a machine but that is a bit unusual.

380 is phase-to-phase voltage; if you take any one of the phase wires and the neutral, you'll get 220 V across them. You see, 380 divided by square root of 3 is 220. So put your 220-240 VAC power supply in and don't worry looking for a special.

I agree with LadderLogic, as long as the customer doesn't mind supplying a neutral. You specify your machine as 220V 50/60, and their in-house electricians should know how to make the connection to a 380V source. Frequently, I run in to purchasing agents specifying facilities requirements when they don't have a clue what their talking about.
Don't be shy about asking them to clarify with the Facilities department.
If your machine is 190-240V, 50/60 Hz, you can ship it almost anywhere in the world without modification.
For example, look at the rating on your PC power supply. The only thing they change is the power cord.

If your machine also has 3 phase motors, then that's a different story. They might want to supply only 3 phases and a ground (no neutral). In that case you would need a 380V input supply. You can get away with single phase if it's only a few amps, otherwise a 3 phase input supply would insure you have a balanced load.

keithkyll said:
If your machine also has 3 phase motors, then that's a different story. They might want to supply only 3 phases and a ground (no neutral).
Exactly. And if you do not know for sure, then better assume that there is no Neutral coming from the supply.

380v.gif

Puls Power supply

I've been using it for 2 years as a power supply and UPS.
Hooked it up to DC brake terminals (700 VDC) in VFDs.
Three phase input is universal 400-500VAC.
Very big UPS :ROFLMAO: allows me to keep HMI and PLC powered almost as long as VFD.