Meanings

Twink

I've been given an assignment to do for college and I've done more or less all of it, there is just one bit left for which I think I need help. It very simple, I just don't know how to answer.
State the meaning of the following terms as applied to analogue/digital devices:

a) Accuracy b) Resolution c) Range

d) Sensitivity e) Bandwidth f) Response time

I've got all of them excpet resolution. Any ideas

I feel like such an idiot o_O
My only defence is that its been a long day
Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resolution is the accuracy of the response time based on its sensitivity factoring in its range and bandwidth.
Couldn't resist.

Basically analog devices come from the vendor with a resolution factor. This is measured in terms of steps, The more steps the better the accuracy. In less accurate devices, they may only measure in 8 bits, 1 - 256 in binary terms. More accurate meters go upto 16 bits which is 1 to 32767.

If your where measuring say 20 millivolts and had 8 bit resolution, ou would divide 20 by 256, that would be your resoution per step.

The higher the resolution of the device the greater the accuracy.

Mark Buskell said:
The higher the resolution of the device the greater the accuracy.

Well, not necessarily. Not to pick nits (well, maybe) if I have a didtal clock displaying to the tenth of a second, it's resolution is great but if it is set wrong it's accuracy isn't as good as my old wind-up analog clock.

Similarly, if I have a ±1% sensor wired to a 16 bit PLC input the resolution is great but accuracy isn't as good as a ±0.1% transmitter wired to a 12 bit PLC input.

The same may be said of analog displays or even transmitters. While it is true that high accuracy and high resolution often go together, you should always distinguish between the two.