Accessing PLC in Europe via company intranet.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I posted this originally over on MrPLC several weeks ago and got some responses, but looking for additonal infomation.

One of our European subsidiaries has a couple of SLC5/05s connected to an RSView32 station using a single cross-over cable. They are not currently networked together and the RSView32 computers are not on the network.

HOWEVER, the RSVIEW computers are going to be on the corporate network as soon as the cables are run out to them, the IT guys at the Euro plant are working on that now. I will be able to see thos RSView computers on the network from our main offices here in SLC UT USA. Each of the computers has two ethernet ports, one will be configured for DHCP and connected to the company intranet, the other gets a fixed IP address and is connected to the PLC.

A032008A.JPG

It would be a really big help if I could access the PLCs from here (even though I do like travelling across the pond). The personnel at the Euro-plant do not have any PLC skills and they have minimal IT skills. However, the IT people are resistant to us placing fixed IP devices directly on the company intranet, we've done it but they don't like it.

Next time I'm over there I plan to install manged switch and network all the controllers and RSView stations together using one of the two NICs in each computer and fixed IP addresses. The other NICs are attached to the network and configured for DHCP.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5975

I understand that there is supposed to be a way that I can get the PC to bridge the two networks together, so that if I can see the PC on the network and I have it configured right I could browse through it and access the controllers. The local Rockwell person said it chould be done with Win XP, no need for RSLinx gateway or anything special, but didn't know how. I don't have RSLogix500 on any of the machines in Eurpoe so I'm not looking at using the remote desktop where I take control of the computer, I want to bridge through it.

Any ideas on how this is done?

It sounds to me like you're trying to configure the windows PCs to behave as a router, to enable communications bridging to the seperate controller ethernet network.

Have you looked into router software packages?
A quick google search turns up some results (I have no experience with these products, but they sound like what you're looking for)

Here are a couple:
http://www.newfreedownloads.com/Internet/Miscellaneous/RouterOS.html
http://www.nat32.com/