Helix formula

sttchui

hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone know the right formula to calculate the helix length & speed along the helix? i wanted to program the formula into my plc so i can show on a touch screen of the length & speed of the seam weld.

I wanted to know the seam lenght of a welded pipe & the speed of the torch gun when moving along the pipe.

Thank you!

Regards,

sttchui

sttchui said:
hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone know the right formula to calculate the helix length & speed along the helix?
You can only calculate the speed speed a long the helix as a function of something else like dz/dt.

i wanted to program the formula into my plc so i can show on a touch screen of the length & speed of the seam weld.

I wanted to know the seam lenght of a welded pipe & the speed of the torch gun when moving along the pipe.
You can go as fast or slow as you need. I will look into finding the total length of travel.

That's a good point, Dan. He really didn't specify if he was just looking for the X-direction welding head speed or if he was looking for the speed of the weld surface passing under the head. I just assumed it was the second one since he was also looking for weld length, but I could be wrong on that.

Keith