Panelview + problems downloading runtime program

Shawn Cassidy

Hi,
I'm working on a Panelview Plus 700 and I've run into a problem downloading the runtime program to the PV+. I've connected my PC to the screen using a standard Ethernet cable. When I click on the "communications" tab I see the RSLinx Enterprise tree. It shows my Ethernet connection and it is browsing. For some reason I am unable to upload or download to the PV+. In the "application" tree there is an area in the project for RSLinx Enterprise, communication setup. I click on the target and it opens the RSLinx tree that shows my Ethernet connection and specifically the PV+ and it's IP address. How do I set-up the driver on the PV+ to match? I had a friend download some changes I made a few days ago and he had serious problem establishing a connection to download. He finally was able to, but I since attempted again with no luck. Is anyone else having similar issues? I'm using RSView ME 4.00 (CPR7) to do the modifications. Also, I'm having another issue with doing backups. Sometime when I try and do a file backup I get a warning telling me to close the current project before trying to save?? It is closed. Strange stuff. Any help would be much appreciated. Can I just save the archived file or will this be useless to open on another PC?

Try to make sure that you have the newest version of RsLinx 2.52 (I believe). Also, it is always a lot easier to have the computer and the Panelview to a switch. I also set a static IP address on both the computer and the Panelview - make sure the subnet mask is the same on both.

I'm running RSLinx Classic 2.50. How do you see the version of RSLinx Enterprise??? I can't find it my programs tree? Shouldn't it be in the Rockwell Software folder? Does it use RSLinx Classic to do the communications?

RsLinx Enterprise runs in the background and there is no icon. Just make sure your IP address are the same in this fasion:

192.168.5.xx (computer and PV different last #'s at least. The beginning 3 xxx.xxx.xxx can be whatever you want they just have to match on both) and the subnet masks are the exact same on both. Usually it is set to 255.255.255.0 - but is can be anything ans long as both match.

I see no mention of "Transfer Utility" in the original post. This is what you use to move .mer file to PV+. Are you using this?

PC IP should be 169.254.196.x. x = any number between 1 and 255.

You can assign it whatever you want as long as it is not the same as the PV.... for example...169.254.196.x(0-255) but NOT 5.
You will need to use the same subnet Mask, 255.255.0.0.

BTW, Rslinx Enterprise is the communication system internal to RSview Studio/Factory Talk,whatever you may have now.....

It is NOT THE SAME as RSlinx.

It is located in the project explorer, on the bottom left pane of the screen, under another user tab.

Good luck, it seems like you are getting closer.

do you need to do any setup on the PV itself? I was looking at the configuration screen and noticed the communications setup. Do you need to setup the IP there as well as in the RSLinx communication tree?

Shawn Cassidy said:
do you need to do any setup on the PV itself? I was looking at the configuration screen and noticed the communications setup. Do you need to setup the IP there as well as in the RSLinx communication tree?

Only if it has not already been set. Is this fresh out of box PV+ or just updating an existing one?

I am using the transfer utility to do the transfer. I see the PV+ and I am browsing the network.... It just hangs up and eventually times out. I'm starting to understand the way this is working now though. I'm tried to set the IP address different on my PC from the PV+, but the subnet mask, I'm not certain about...

Shawn Cassidy said:

No changes as long as you have the ETHIP driver loaded. You just need to set the static IP's up. And use the transfer utility as metioned in the above post.

It is new out of the box, but a colleague of mine did the first transfer and setup the PV+. Like I said, he had some major problems though and I'm now unable to communicate (never was able to though). I had taken a program originally written by him for a PV+600 and modified it to run on a PV+700 along with other changes. He downloaded it for me and the HMI is running. The customer now needs more changes. I've asked my colleague how he setup his PC to communicate, but he is unable to tell me exactly. I think he just got lucky and doesn't really know what he did.

sounds like that's all I'm missing then. I'll try to setup the proper IP addresses and subnet masks. I'm hoping this will solve the problem. Any ideas about the backup problems I'm having?

Where do you setup the subnet mask on the PV+. In the screen configuration? I can only seem to change the IP address in RSLinx Enterprise communication setup screen...