WonderWare Client Based Arch Network Delay

abaig

Hi folks,​
We have three HMI machines on our Network. All of them have Wonderware 9.0 running. This is a simple client based architecture. Now sometimes we have longer delay in data fetching. It varies from 1 sec to 10 sec. This has been a critical issue in the past. I hope you guys can suggest an easier solution to cutdown such delays. Otherwise how will the server based arch work in this scenario?​
so long. thanks in advance.​
Regards​
Ammad​

What's changed? What else in on your network? You're likely to get much better responses if you provide more technical details about your setup.

Time Synchronization

I believe your problem is the time synchronization. We have a Archestra based Wonderware system but it is the same in principle for the viewings clients. We have 10 Viewing clients which fetches data from 2 Object Servers..We had the same problem recently and fixed it by updating and configuring a Time server.

Check the recommended Sync. software at www.archestra.biz

Rheinhardt

One question I would have is how many topics do you have configured?

Try changing the update time on them - use primary numbers.

More info, more info...

PC type?
PLC type?
I/O server type? Running on one machine or all?
I/O server settings?
Network setup?

More Info...

Hey guys we have

Two ControlLogix PLCs with some remote IO racks
Two redundant ethernet switches
Three desktop PCs. Two of which are used as HMI while one is the Engineering station.
We a picking up some data from PLC5 and two SLCs

The total topics defined are eight in number
and total number of tags in Wonderware are around 23000

and we are using OPCLink as IO Server

thanks

Before the days of DAS, we were using RSlinx -> OPCLink -> WW 7.11. This was not near as stable as DAS is now but, we didn't really have any timing issues. I believe the update time was set in RSLinx and we always set to 1 second.

The advantage of 1 I/O server is that the data is read from the PLCs by one machine and then served up to the clients. PLC is not bothered with multiple requests for same data from different PCs. This is almost necessary for CLogix since it is designed to optimize data transfer with 1 I/O server.

Another thing to look at is the "Overhead Timeslice" in CLogix. The larger the number, the more processor time is devoted to comms over logic execution.