Technical Automation Exams

inforPLC

Hello All,

I am applying to an automation company and I will be attending a technical exam about automation. Can anyone tell me what kind of technical questions are asked in these types of exams, or do anyone have some solved automation exams that may help?

Please provide me with your feedback ASAP, if anyone can send me some solved exams by email, I will really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Hi there
Probably they will ask you just basic electronics question.
But it depend whether you are applying as a fresher or for some experienced post.
Since you are saying its a exam then its for freshers only and hence basic electronics.
Learn all the types of Gates-- AND OR NAND XOR etc
Multiplexers, DEMUX, Counter, Encoders, Type of sensors.
Diffrence between bit, byte, word, etc

Also refer to this free online PLC book
http://www.mikroe.com/en/books/plcbook/plcbook.htm

Manmeet

inforPLC said:
I am applying to an automation company and I will be attending a technical exam about automation...
Please provide me with your feedback ASAP, if anyone can send me some solved exams by email, I will really appreciate it.

Hello inforPLC,
I don't wish to sound offhand, but if you are applying for a job with an 'automation' company, and you wish to succeed with that company, then asking people to send you answers to exams or tests that they may have taken will not get you very far in the future.
What is your own level of expertise within this (extremely diverse) field?
What if they ask questions about the particular suitability of any of the various (and numerous) types of fieldbuses?
They may ask questions about a specific brand of PLC - Numbers of IO per given model, memory size etc, etc.
They may ask questions on basic electrical theory, motor sizing, types of cables, cabinet types, fuse/breaker sizing...
How would you write a one-shot routine?
Convert this Ladder program into Structured Text?
Where would you use a multiplexer?
The list of possible 'technical' questions is endless.
What you need to ask is "Do I think that I am up to the task that I am applying for?"
If you are, then you shouldn't need to crib from other peoples exam sheets.
If you are not, then you shouldn't apply for the position in the first place.
As I said, I don't wish to sound offhand, but it sounds like you are asking people to a) help you get a job that you are not necessarily ready to take on, and b) supply you with a potentially massive ammount of information to do so!

Hi Paulus
But I think that whatever inforPLC has asked is out of normal human behaviour. Everyone feels anxiety when they are going to venture in a new field.

Hello Manmeet and Hello Paulus,

I would like to thank you both for your generosity and for the nice information you provided, it helped me focus on what to study and what to put into considerations.

Thank you Manmeet for the nice reply and the resourceful link.

Thank you Paulus for trying to help, but I have some comment for you.

Don't rush into judgmental interpretations about others. You wrote a long personality analysis trying to judge my question about exams. It's popular all around that we do refer to old exams and questions as an example, not as a bulk amount of information to be swallowed as you referred to. It's how do we develop our skills. Even in any reference book you will find solved examples after each chapter to show you how things go and to teach you how to develop your ideas and thoughts. Otherwise, we will be bounded by basic theories and will never know how to practically use them.

At any educational institute you will find previous exams as a demo to how it looks like, to put students on the right track, not to let them study the exams as they are.

Anyway, let us take the positive side of your email, thank you for providing some nice tips and hints on how questions may look like.

Best Regards for All.

inforPLC