Another STL to LAD question....

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I'm still trying to translate ladder into statement list as I am trying to get better at understanding and writing STL. I asked a question yesterday regarding this but I've come across another puzzler...

The STL in Network 1 is what I'm trying to translate. My initial translation was in Network 2 but when I've downloaded the code and tried it, it behaves more like the code in Network 3. Can someone tell me which one is the correct translation and is there a way of doing the translation so that I can avoid this problem in the future.

STL_conversion2.jpg

ie. Is there any tricks you know of for translating efficiently between STL and LAD?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers

:)

Network 3 is correct. The STL you have posted looks like it was part of a SR latch but with the S part removed - this is why it will not directly convert to LAD. Remove the NOP 0 and it will.

Thanks Simon...

While I've got your attention could you look at this one for me as well..

STL_conversion3.jpg

Again, I've tried to translate it but I'm not sure if its correct.

The second line...
A(
O M0.4
)

...Threw me a bit.

Many thanks for your help mate

Cheers

;)

uptown47 said:
The second line...
A(
O M0.4
)

...Threw me a bit.

I think there used to be a few more statements in the brackets.

If I'm thinking correct today then:

A(
O M0.4
)
can be written:

A M0.4

L D[AR2,P#0.0] Will probably correct me if I'm wrong...:D

I agree with you - hence the M0.4 should be in series with the N/O contacts. When you see brackets, initially replace them with a contact and then replace the contact with the logic inside the brackets.

Last edited:
L D[AR2 said:
When you see brackets, initially replace them with a contact and then replace the contact with the logic inside the brackets.

A big thanks for the info everyone. And thanks for this tip Simon. I'll try and apply that...

(I'm sure there'll be more questions before I've got all this STL thing off pat).

:)

Another question for you...

I've kept it in the same thread otherwise I'm going to end up with loads of threads all on the same subject...

Here's the picture, Network 1 is the STL and Network 2 was my first thought.. then, after changing to STL to see if it resembled Network 1 I had another bash at it in Network 3.

Network 3 is nearer but I'm still not sure if its accurate.

Can someone let me know where (if) I've gone wrong and also whether the second OR is round:
1) all the previous statements
2) just the statements after the brackets
3) just I 0.6

Help/pointers etc really appreciated as always...

STL_conversion4.jpg

Cheers

:unsure:

Peter

That would make sense mate..

I've just redone it in ladder the way you said and then translated it into STL and it translates:

A(
A(
A I 0.0
O
A I 0.1
A I 0.2
)
A I 0.3
AN I 0.4
A I 0.5
A I 0.6
O