Ansi

Here's a quick query from over the sea's...

We export a large amount of machinery to the USA, we have always stated that our machinery is built in compliance with BS EN60204-1, BS EN12100, BS EN62061 etc. however i came across an ANSI standard that is directy applicable to the type of machinery we manufacture - it states a mandatory requirement for some safety switches that we no longer fit as the area is protected by other means - in this case a light curtain to prevent access into the hazard area.

I have no worries that there is any safety issue but when we export to the USA does the ANSI standard come into effect? Or can you just mitigage that the machinery is not built to ANSI standards but CE instead.

There is no BS EN equivelent to this ANSI standard i have found.

Thanks,
Brian.

Brian Hamilton said:
I have no worries that there is any safety issue but when we export to the USA does the ANSI standard come into effect?
Only if your customer specifically demands it. There are few other US standards (OSHA for once) that may come into effect depending on customer's needs.

I am not aware of any standard in US that has the power of law - it is up to the machine user to evaluate their liabilities in case of an accident and to demand a vendor to follow certain standards. Some industries are subject to more stringent safety inspections than others - once again, it is your customer who should know what exactly he needs.

In most cases compliance with European safety standards is deemed to be sufficient.