Bernecker and Rainer PLC ¿How?

plc'r'us

Hello,

My customer needs to check and improve the program of an PLC type CPU10 (¿¿??) made by Bernecker and Rainer a lot of years ago. ¿Does somebody know what I need to connect (software, cable,...)?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

I used to work for a company that used B&R on one range of kit (which thankfully i had little to do with), horrible stuff (fans on CPU's anybody ?) compared to the major brands.

If there is no good reason for keepiong it on B&R I personally would look at a developing a process and timescale for porting it over to a proper PLC, you will save yourself some serious heartache !!

Last edited:
tragically1969 said:
If there is no good reason for keepiong it on B&R I personally would look at a developing a process and timescale for porting it over to a proper PLC, you will save yourself some serious heartache !!

Yes, but to do that it would be easier if I have got the instructions list of the actual program. Then, I need to access to this PLC....

Thank You.

plc'r'us said:
Yes, but to do that it would be easier if I have got the instructions list of the actual program. Then, I need to access to this PLC....
No, I doubt that this old PLC stores comments and symbols in the CPU. You need a program listing, and if you have it on paper you dont even need the old programming software.

I have used b and r in the past. Wasn't keen on them. For a start you couldn't upload the program even with the software. You needed an "upgrade" to connect to a cpu( they call them a pcc as opposed to a plc)that was programmed with an older firmware version.You could upload some blocks to do with the motion control. I forget what they were called. Apparently a very powerful and open structure but very much aimed towards high level programming.

I dont suppose you have a pic of the unit? I ask because I have the older dos based version of the B&R software. It is called ProSys. I dont know if that would work for this PLC you have or not. I also know that the cable was unique as well it plugged into the parallel port of your PC then to the serial port of the PLC and it had its own power supply. Someone once told me that they sold other versions of this that were nothing more than a null modem cable but i can not confirm nor deny this. I can only tell you what I used at a previous employer.

I did like the B&R programming language though. It was very similar to Assembler (machine language). there was plenty of register an index register, a, b, c, and d accumulators. All the logic and screen displays were in the PLC and sent via a type of serial port to the screen.

But anyway the language went something like

LDA A (then you have different types of options here)
XOR B

well you get the idea. if you want i can supply you with an image copy of the cd I got from the sales people at B&R. It contains this dos based version of the software as well as the neumonics(sp?) used in their PLC. Just let me know an address.

plc'r'us said:
Hello,

My customer needs to check and improve the program of an PLC type CPU10 (¿¿??) made by Bernecker and Rainer a lot of years ago. ¿Does somebody know what I need to connect (software, cable,...)?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

Hi,

My customer sent me this pictures, I hope you recognize the PLC. If you send me the software I'll try to work...My address is: [email protected]

Thanks a lot

IMAGE_177.jpg

IMAGE_178.jpg

Hi,

you do not only need the software ProSys, you also need a special programming adapter (which is a converter from parallel-port to TTY).

In the PLC there are no comments stored, an if it is programmed in ladder-logic, you will only see the pure code.
Then you have a special PPU, which I do not know. Therefore you need another adapter.

I think the best is to contact B&R-Spain for help.

B&R Headquarters: Barcelona
Bernecker & Rainer Automatización Industrial S.L.U.
P.I. Circuit de Catalunya
C/Can Cabanyes, 88
08400 Granollers - Barcelona
Telefon +34/935 689 965Fax +34/935 689 973Email [email protected]http:///
A word to B&R:
In my opinion, B&R has very good and reliable PLCs, and if I can choose, then I use it.

It is true what Fraz17 says about the programming cable. But the other thing here is the EP cards that are in the unit. I dont know if its my monitor or what but I can not make out much detail on them. I have heard that there are two different cards,and anyone more experienced than I please add in, but one card is more for OEM type things where you have to get a writer for that eprom card. This type also lets you go online with the PLC and monitor things but wont accept changes. The other type does allow online editing and modifing. From what I have heard and been told the difference is a switch on the front of the EP module. It this switch is present you will see it and it will be labeled WP and WE for write protect and write enable. If it dont have this switch then it might be one of the OEM style. But again I am going on hearsay and have never seen it. But I did get your email address and I will try to get to the vault today and pull up the files and send them your way.

plc'r'us said:
Hi,

My customer sent me this pictures, I hope you recognize the PLC. If you send me the software I'll try to work...My address is: [email protected]

Thanks a lot

IMAGE_177.jpg

IMAGE_178.jpg

As I can see, these EPROMs are "real" EPROMs EP05, this means that they must be deleted under UV-Light. For programming you will need a PG1000 (which is an big ancient programming "cubicle") or an external EP-Programmer from B&R.

The other types are RA05 (which is a RAM), or later they use FPxx (Flash-PROM) and EExx (EE-PROM).

Hello,

I asked but I have not yet received asnwer from B&R. Meanwhile, if this type lets me go online and monitor the program , i will help my customer. I just need to know how....

Thanks to everybody

To go online will not be the problem, if you have the right adapter. This should work, no matter what PROM is used.

If you get no answer in spain, please call B&R-Headquarter in Eggelsberg +43-7748-6586.