Question about Review Studio

yfcarer

Hi guys.

Someone knows what is the difference between test an application on PC and the test on physical PV+? The story is......

I wrote a PV+ application for a plant.

When I finish the programming, I use the "TEST" function in the Studio to test the application, since I don't have a PV+ hardware on hand. When the test is done, I send it to the plant.

Then we heard some noise from site. Someone complain that because we didn't download and test the application on the physical PV+ hardware, they need to change a lot on the application we sent. But from my last experience, the only thing they need to do on site is to copy the link in the communication setup.

Is this correct?

It's been my experience that you are correct.

When you do your test, do you have a PLC hooked up with the same program that the plant has?

Do you have a similar network setup?

Are you defining communication path on both the local and target tabs?

What files are you sending to the plant? .apa and .mer?

What is the plant having to change?

Yes. When I test the application, I had the PLC hardware running the PLC code same as that running on site. The network setup is samiliar. The only difference is the PLC connects to the PC running RSview Studio here, while it connects to a physical PV+ on site.

What I sent is a .apa file and the PLC code. I did not coping the Device shortcuts from Local to Target on the PV+ application. That is what I think they can do on site.

And the guy on site doesn't tell me what is the "a lot of changes" they made, which makes me more puzzle.

The only real difference, is that running on the PC, RSLinx can be used to resolve tags rather than being forced to use the crippled Linx Enterprise. Aside from that, there should be no problems on the PanelView, unless you are using things in the communications layer that Linx Enterprise is too stupid to support, like bridging through networks.

The problem that I had between a working test on PC and a non-working application on PanelView+700 was the network latencies. I used a momentarty push button to that required 2 presses to start my machine. My initial logic didn't latch this so sometimes the first press wasn't held long enough to allow it to get to where it needed to be. I latched this output and unlatched it when my scan had gotten past where it was required and no problems after that.

I have noticed slight differences between an application running on a PC and one running on the PV+. Once example that comes to mind is a number displays working properly on the PC and not in the PV+. Occasionally we would have to scale the display bigger in order for it to display on the PV+. Funny thing about it is that it was often a graphic that we have on every screen that we do, and sometimes it's a problem (although most of the time it is not).

Now that we have standardized on PV+, we have the common sizes that we use on hand so we can test any changes here before we send them out.

dmroeder said:
I have noticed slight differences between an application running on a PC and one running on the PV+...
Then, I think maybe this is what happens on site, since one complain is something like they need to redraw some pictures.

Thank you very much. I think I need remember this lesson and ask my boss to find a real PV+ hardware for me next time.