Serial to AB Ethernet SLC 5/05

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application where I need to read ascii strings from two Marposs gauge columns. On command, these devices spit out an ascii string from their RS-232 ports.

The job calls for an AB SLC 5/05 processor (which includes an ethernet port). We would like to know if we can get a converter of some sort to throw the ascii strings at the PLC over the ethernet.

I'm not versed in ethernet and knowing AB, I'm sure their flavor is different enough to make using industry standard converters a bit of a hassle.

Has anyone done something similar to this maybe with a bar code reader or scale or other device? Can I use a simple converter from B&B to make this work?

All advice and comments appreciated

If your ASCII devices are within 50 feet of the processor, take a look at this device for handling the ASCII. Link