Floating points? still confused.

XIO

I have tried to research on floating points but I am still confused. I am trying to understand to function FLT and INT in GX Developer (Mitsu). I have read different articles but I am not sure I get the concept. Can any one put it in simple words? Why or What is the application in automation with PLC?. I understand floating points is a "imaginary" representation of real numbers that otherwise would be out of range??? is this right?.

Thanks

I don't understand your actual question.
An integer is a fixed precision number. It can have 'implied' decimal places, but is fixed precision.

A Float is an arbitrary precision number, that stores a number of significant digits, and an exponent, so it can directly represent extremely small numbers, or extremely large numbers. Of course, the full binary size of a float is not used for storing the mantissa, and adding together large and small floats might not actually result in a change when you perform a mathmatical operation on them.

Floats can also (and do) have built in error values that specify underflow, overflow, +/- infinity, and NaN.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating-point_standard for more.