PID loops and digital outputs

ddot61

Has anyone used digital outputs to control a split phase motor for process control? The motor is similar to a Barber Coleman EMP-453. I want to use the PID output to adjust the motor in one direction or the other based on my sp and pv coming back.

Lucy! you got some splain'in to do!

What are you trying to control with your pid loop - position? torque? RPM? I guess I can assume that you want control speed (RPM) but how are you measuring this? And a PID loop output is typically an analog signal - not digital. When I looked up the Barber Coleman part number, it came back with an actuator. Your request for help is all over the place wrong here. Please be a little more specific...

I have used some temp controllers for ovens that was on/off control. I don't think they would work for motors.

Maybe a mass flow controller? They use motors to turn valves sometimes.

Give us more info.

Increase Decrease Electric Actuators

I have been driving a variety of Electric Actuators (using split phase motors) for PID control using Increase Decrease Digital Outputs and an Analogue Input for Slidewire Position.
I have found this technique to be very satisfactory giving extreamly fine positioning.
The actuators I have used include Honeywell M940, L&N 10260, Barber
Coleman, Beck and Gastechniques.
Generaly I use 60 Second (for full stroke) actuators with a minimum
of 1000 Ohm slidewire. For very few fast control loops I use 30 Second actuators.
Recently I have been using Siemens S7-400 PLC's for up to 70 PID loops but in the past used Computers such as DEC PDP-11 and
Bailey DCS systems.
I always use 24 Volts DC outputs from the PLC and drive the actuators via Solid State AC output "terminals" at 110 or 240 VAC.

An advantage of using Increase Decrease to drive an Electric Actuator is that you can use a very simple low cost System/Backup station between your PLC and Actuator.
I have these built to my circuit diagram in Malaysia. (Most of my work is in Asia.)
The display shows the Feedback (0 > 5volts) from actuator slidewire as 0 to 100%.
System Backup is a latching push button with Backup LED.
Inc and Dec are momentary push buttons with LED's that function in either System or Backup.
DSC03269ss.JPG

Last edited:
Beck are the best Electric Actuators

The best Electric Actuators are made by Beck www.haroldbeck.com
Attached is the circuit diagram of the type I generally use.
Sometimes I use 240 VAC and sometimes the 4-20 mA output version
that does not use a slidewire.
It is well worth having a good look around the Beck web site if you are interested in using split phase actuators. They have various writeups, application notes and linkage arrangements.
However, for most applications you can manage with something lesser than the Beck and save a lot of money.

I have been searching this site and am surprised that I find very few references to Electric Actuators. Having visited many Glass Container Industry factories in U.S.A. I know that they are used extensively in that industry.

I understand that Electric Actuators cannot be used where intrinsic safety is a requirement but elsewhere they generally outperform
4 - 20 mA actuators and Pneumatic actuators with I/P Positioners.

Surely someone visits this site who uses Increase Decrease digital outputs to drive split phase Electric Actuators?

Attached is wiring information for Kromschroder and Leeds & Northrup Electric Actuators

Last edited: