AB HMI Newbie

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
This will probably cause a few giggles out there. I have two PV300's hooked up to a 5/03, which the customer wishes me to modify. I have never touched an AB HMI. I have done a fair amount of RS 500 and several CLX projects none of which required HMI. When I purchased the CLX software RS View was included, but I know that the PV's were programmed using Panelbuilder32. Given that I have read some rather horrid comments on this site concerning RSView would I be better off as a complete neophyte purchasing the Panelbuilder32 software in this first attempt?

If you already have the hardware then yes, the software does not cost that much.

PB32Cost.jpg

Panelbuilder32 and the standard Panelviews from Allen-Bradley are very solid and reliable products. However, they are very expensive compared to similar HMIs on the market and generally have less functionality. That said, if you already have the PV hardware then I think your only choice is to use PanelBuilder32. I have not used RSView but I believe it is only compatible with the newer PanelView Plus terminals.

kolyur said:
I have not used RSView but I believe it is only compatible with the newer PanelView Plus terminals.

That is correct, there is no other option other than Panelbuilder for a Panelview standard.

kolyur said:
Panelbuilder32 and the standard Panelviews from Allen-Bradley are very solid and reliable products. However, they are very expensive compared to similar HMIs on the market and generally have less functionality. That said, if you already have the PV hardware then I think your only choice is to use PanelBuilder32. I have not used RSView but I believe it is only compatible with the newer PanelView Plus terminals.

The compatability depends on the flavor of RSView. I believe that RSView 32 is compatable with any Windows based PC. RSView ME (which I think is now called Factory Talk View) is for the PV+ terminals.

Mickey said:
If you already have the hardware then yes, the software does not cost that much.

PB32Cost.jpg
I was qouted 250.00 just a couple weeks ago from Rexel