OT Xray regulations for Canada

mordred

I've been trying to make heads or tails on the requirements for personal xray dosage meters for operators on an X-ray machine, more specifically those designed to examine a meat product Thje industrial classification does not seem to pertain as the KV levels are considerably lower in this application. We currently perform xray leakage checks on a regular basis but according to all the charts I've read it looks like the allowable dosage is measured based on time vs radiation levels. And yet when I've been in the hospital getting x rays I noticed that even the radiologist wasn't wearing any personal meter does anyone know of a good source that can clarify the requirements. I've already tried OHSA.

mordred said:
I've been trying to make heads or tails on the requirements for personal xray dosage meters for operators on an X-ray machine, more specifically those designed to examine a meat product Thje industrial classification does not seem to pertain as the KV levels are considerably lower in this application. We currently perform xray leakage checks on a regular basis but according to all the charts I've read it looks like the allowable dosage is measured based on time vs radiation levels. And yet when I've been in the hospital getting x rays I noticed that even the radiologist wasn't wearing any personal meter does anyone know of a good source that can clarify the requirements. I've already tried OHSA.

I do not believe OSHA has any regualations for radiation exposure.
Let me recall my Navy Nuclear power training and from Trojan Nuc Plant. It has been a "couple years) ie decades so trust my memory at your risk.

I believe in USA all radiantion exposure levels are controlled
by Nuc Regulatory Commission NRC.
They are in 10 CFR 20
I believe Navy standards were
total lifetime dose 5(N-18) N = age
Yearly exposure 5 REM
Quarterly 3 REM
daily 100 mREM ???
REM is Roengten Equivalent Man
calcd by type of radiation energy level

SO
RADIATION Quality Factor
Alpha````````20
Hi level neutron 10
Thermalizen neutron 5
Beta 3
Gamma 1

At state level these are all dealt with by the Public Health Organizations. People doing the work are Health Physicists - you need the assistance of one.

I believe Xray techs (medical) are required to wear film badges. They were different than one I wore when on sub. Interestingly I was required to take mine off when getting medical Xrays - they were included in my background dose.

Dan Bentler
Dan Bentler

Thanks Dan I did manage to find a copy of the RED act its dosage limits are different than the ones described above 50 msv/annum for the radaition workeras all the charts are based on exposure vs time I'd say its a safe bet to assume radaition films are required but I can't find any requlation as to the requirements of how to implement the radaition films ie what type of documentation is required with the films. Unfortunately our company does not have an RSO. I was hoping some of the ppl that frequent this site that also have x-ray machines at their plant can provide some insight as to how their company is handling the requlations

Thanks for the link didn't see that one on the search but did find some clarification and its lead me to feel its best to contract a supplier for the personal dosimeters Yes I found under 21 CFR 1010 that they are required. From what I can tell using the correct supplier is that they can maintain the records and perform the checks I require now trying to find one of those suppliers near Alberta