LabView Anyone?

I've got a couple of weeks to develop a LabView front end for small system. I have never used LabView and am looking for any suggestions and or book recommendations to get started. Not sure if I can wait for a National Instruments class in my area.

With remote access i.e. logmein.com, where could I find someone to log in remotely and walk me thru the basics to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Labview serial/ascii commands

I'm working on my first labview project and have a problem with reading and writing to a serial device.

My project includes a GE Versapro PLC, Kepware OPC driver, and a labview front end. The serial device is a chiller and I need to read the temperature and send a setpoint as well as poll for any errors.

My first attempt using "Visa" works, however, the response time is very slow. I would like to press a button and immediatly read the temperature. I then intend to take this value and write to a register in my PLC.

Can anyone provide any assistance and point me in the right direction.

Thanks