Connect Ultra 3000 to MPL-A310-P

aidamcg

Hi All

We have machines that have 4 servo motors which work in pairs.The platform is Contrologix and Sercos communications. For the previous 2 years or so only one pair has been used. The unused side got used for spares and now it is needed. The motors that were originally in the machine are not longer been made. They were N-3406-2-H. I have installed the new motors which are MPL-A310-P and changed them in the configuration within Contrologix to the new Type. I downloaded the changed program but when I tune the Motor I get no Movement. I tried to do a JOG command and it says it is in Progress but I have no Movement. I am no expert as regards motion programming so I am at loss as to what might be the problem. Would the drive need to be flashed as it is 3-4 years old to work with the new motor. I have no errors and solid green lights on them so that tells me that hardware seems to be ok. Is there some other steps I need to follow to get it working correctly.

Thanks

Aidan

I don't have an answer to your problem but I'm pretty sure you should not need to flash the drive. We have Ultra drives that are at least 5 years old and have been running with MPL-A320 motors since day one.

What type of encoder do you have on the MPL motors? I think the H suffix on the N-series motors specifies an incremental encoder; chances are the MPL has an absolute encoder. I can't say whether that would cause a problem with the Ultra but it might be worth a look.

Last edited:
I dont see a place to select the encoder type. I would assume that when you select the motor catalog number that the encoder is automatically selected. Am I right with this. I have noticed the HOOKUP tab on the axis properties screen. Do I need to use this when I put in a different model motor.

Thanks

Aidan

Yes you need to do hook up with no load condition and don't forget to put test increament value during hook up test.After finished all hook up, tune with no load condition one time and tune again with load condition.If your application need fast system response don't select integrial check box for tuning.Read the help properly at axis properties for each tab.Hope this will help.