Keyence PLC

jeff benson

Has anyone ever worked with the keyence Visuual KV series PLC's. It's the 16 to 40 I/O series. I was interested in buying one but am very rusty wiht PLC's. (Haven't played with them since college 12 yrs ago)The 16 I/O is just $299.00 and looks to do exactly what I need. I was also wondering what was better, Relay or transistor output? Thanx for any help. :)

I like Keyence

Hi Jeff,

I like Keyence PLC. Our company mostly using Mitsubitshi and Allen Bradley PLCs but we do have a machine using Keyence.

I personally like Keyence because it's so easy to program using it's software. I am more familiar with Mitsubitshi GX-Developer. However I prefer to use Keyence because it's so much faster when you try to debug on monitor mode. And also, Keyence simulator is fast and easy to use. GX-ladder logic test software is good and advance, but i think it's slow when monitor mode is turn on. I had gone through Keyence product cataloge and I found that Keyence PLC is quite unique!

You can try the trial version of Keyence PLC software:
http://world.keyence.com/tech/download/download_sft.html

# I was also wondering what was better, Relay or transistor output? #
>We usually use relay in automation wiring. And in my knowledge relay actually is controlled by it's transistor.

I am a junior automation engineer and only work for 6 months. So if anyone who found my mistakes here please give advice. thanks.

Hi.
I like a Keyence PLC too.I think this is a best sollution for small
and middle automatic project.I have a lot expirience with a
KV(older version and visual,but not for step or servo).Very friendly
soft with simulator.If somebody wants,I have a free full version a
Keyence soft for DOS and WIN.
I prefer a relay output-more stronger and chepeer.But,if need speed
switching better transistor.
By,Igor.

igor62il said:
Hi.
I like a Keyence PLC too.I think this is a best sollution for small
and middle automatic project.I have a lot expirience with a
KV(older version and visual,but not for step or servo).Very friendly
soft with simulator.If somebody wants,I have a free full version a
Keyence soft for DOS and WIN.
I prefer a relay output-more stronger and chepeer.But,if need speed
switching better transistor.
My E-mail:[email protected]
By,Igor.

Jeff,

Whether relay or transistor will depend on your application.

Typical PLC relay outputs are rated @ 2 amps. Transistors are rated to drive approximately 0.5 amps.

They Keyence unit can do a 2 amp inductive load / 4 amp resistive load for their relay outputs and 0.3 amp load for their transistor.

A 0.3 amp load isn't capable of driving many devices other than lights.

The advantage of a transistor output is that it can switch much faster than a relay. A relay requires 8-10 ms to go from an off state to on state. A transistor turns on in less than 1 ms.

We have an article that compares a solid state output (in this case a triac) with a relay output.

www.entertron.com/press5.htm

We also provide an output comparison table of various PLC manufacturers.

http://www.entertron.com/outputcompare.htm

I can't directly comment as to the benefits of working with the Keyence unit in that I never have and they are a competitor of ours.

Hope this helps with your decision.

God Bless,

I have used some Keyence units, and they do what they are supposed to. I found the programming diferent from what I am used to. The only way I can describe it is that the rungs would be backwards from what you are used to. Visit their site, there sound be a couple of booklets listed that could help you.

When looking at Keyence, you will note that it looks different from most plc's. Now, when you visit the Entertron site, you will note that they look different too. One thing that I like about Entertron, is they have a lower profile againts the back of the panel, allowing for a "thinner" enclosure to be used.

I like the Entertron a lot more then the Keyence. I find the software easier to use, and as mentioned by Stephen, the outputs are a "little" more robust. And every amp helps!

Either brand should work for you, but I would recommend the Entertron.

best regards.....casey

Last edited:
I work with Keyence KV PLC's on a weekly basis. They appear to be a solid PLC with no issues. I have written a number of programs and modified probably the same amount and the ladder appears to me to be quite similar to other software that I have used. The software has a built in simulator so you can test your program out before you even wire your PLC up. Keyence has always provided me with no charge technical support and follow up phone calls or even site visits just to be sure that everything was okay. I have found them great to work with and recommend their PLC equipment.

is it possible to connect Keyence KV PLC's to any SCADA? what kind of protocols do Keyence KV PLC's support?
thanks!!

Casey,

thanks for your reply.

in fact I was just curious what SCADA's can work (I.e. have drivers or so) with Keyence KV PLC's...or may be they have own SCADA, and what standard protocols does Keyence KV PLC support (modbus, etc)

thanks again and sorry for my ignorance

CaseyK said:
I have used some Keyence units, and they do what they are supposed to. I found the programming diferent from what I am used to. The only way I can describe it is that the rungs would be backwards from what you are used to. Visit their site, there sound be a couple of booklets listed that could help you.

When looking at Keyence, you will note that it looks different from most plc's. Now, when you visit the Entertron site, you will note that they look different too. One thing that I like about Entertron, is they have a lower profile againts the back of the panel, allowing for a "thinner" enclosure to be used.

I like the Entertron a lot more then the Keyence. I find the software easier to use, and as mentioned by Stephen, the outputs are a "little" more robust. And every amp helps!

Either brand should work for you, but I would recommend the Entertron.

best regards.....casey

I disagree. The Keyence programming software is Archaic. We have what I am told is the most recent version and it is from 1997.

Programming paralell contacts doesn't seem to work as it does in all the other PLC's I have worked with. (see my thread on this)Also in Keyence you are allowed to put in the same coil multiple times complicating trouble shooting.

Unfortunatly for me I am stuck with it at this job because my boss thinks it is great. Probably because he never worked with A-B or any other mainstream PLC's.

the Visual KV series is one of the latest compact PLC version released by Keyence. One great thing about this PLC is that it has a BUILT-IN ACCESS WINDOW that let's you edit PLC parameters (such as timer and counter preset values)directly on the PLC without using any programming device or other external input devices such as thumbwheel switch. It is a solid solution for stand-alone system that requires 152 i/o's or less. Software is easy to use, and you can construct your own communication cable, demo softwares for the new PLCs are fully functional, and the older software Ladder Builder is given for free.