Obsolete OP25

craigsimon

We have a system with an OLD Siemens OP25 installed. We would like to upgrade the HMI, but we need to look at the existing HMI code to make this easier. We have 3 files with the extension .fud, .pdb, .rdf. Are these files the source code for the OP25? If so what software is used to open these and does anyone know if it is still available. The OP25 we have has old firmware and does not allow uploads, so we are stuck re-engineering the HMI or trying to find the source code. We have never had any luck working with the origonal vendor.

Thanks

Hi,

You'd need Protool to view/change the HMI-code. Obsolete software and in my mind not worth buying anymore.

For upgrading the software, I'd say the easiest way would be to buy WinCC Flexible software. This software allows you to migrate the existing .pdb file into the newer WinCCFlex version without much re-engineering.

For the Panel upgrade, I'd suggest the OP 270 6".
This panel looks roughly the same as the old one. And should provide the same functionality, extended with some 'nice-to-have' features.

That's the quick and easy way.

Thanks,

So the .pdb file we have is an extension that is used for old Protool software and could possible be the source code for the OP25? That's promising.

Also, I was told by my electrian that they have switched out an old OP25 with a spare OP25, but did not download or even move a memory chip to the new OP25 and everything worked. I find this hard to believe and need to get more information from him. But, is it possible that the S5 can have the OP25 program and download it to the OP25 on power up?

Yes, the .pdb is basically the HMI 'source code' and Protool is the engineering software for it.

Not an expert on S5 nor Protool, but I'd say no. The S5 didn't hold the OP25 program.

If you have similar machines, all using the same OP25, or maybe only 1 machine using the OP25, then I could see the possibility for it to work as the electrician explained.
We have several similar machines. On panels which are identical, we always keep one fully prepared.
Meaning, already downloaded the software so if it does break down in the middle of the night, the maintenace crew can replace it w/o having to wake me up.
Point is: Might be possible someone already prepared the 'new' panel years ago.

Thanks,

The replaced OP25 was one that the electrian found on ebay or elsewhere. We did not have any backup ever. I will have to talk to the electrian and find out what he really did, but I am assuming that he only replaced out the screen or somehow pulled the program chip or motherboard from the origonal and put it in the replacement one.

Thanks again on the info.