AB's One Shot Falling (OSF) Instruction

Hi all,

I'm trying to dectect the true to false transistion of a bit.
I'm using a PLC5-40/E processor. I've decided to use the OSF instruction, but for the like of me just dont understand the instruction book's explination.

Here is what I think the code should look like...

------OSF--------------------
B3:0/6 |Storage Bit : B3:10/0 |
-----||----------|Output Bit : 0 |
|Output Word : B3:11 |
-------------------------------

Now in the event of B3:0/6 going from True to false, should I see B3:11/0 go high for 1 Scan?? or would ot be addressed as B3:11.OB for "Output Bit"??

Am I missing the boat here?? If anyone can give me some insite on how this instruction excecutes, I'd really appriciate it..

Andrew Evenson

osf.jpg

Your expected result from your code sounds correct to me, but I have never used a PLC5, so don't trust my judgement... :p

Sounds like a dopey way to go about a simple OSF instruction. IOW, why they require you to separately enter the word AND bit-of-word is beyond me... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

Andrew Evenson said:
I'm trying to dectect the true to false transistion of a bit.

Does it have to be "true to false" transition?
How about the bit's "1" to "0" state transition?

I have never seen a reason to use the OSF instruction, so I can't tell you how it works, but I would do it this way:

ons.gif

Andrew:

In your example B3:11/0 will be true for 1 scan.
B3:10/0 will follow the rung status.
I must say though that we use a lot of OSR instructions in one of programs and I find them quite confusing. You always need to stop and think, is this the bit that follows the rung status or is it the one shot. It will help a lot if you label them accuratly.
i.e. B3:11/0 - CHUTE UP TO GREASE POSITION ONE SHOT FALLING
B3:10/0 - CYCLE CHUTE UP TO GREASE

I tried to blow the pic up a little.
Hope it turns out.

Kim

osf.jpg

Got me thinking....

Anyone know of a reason that you would use a falling edge one-shot for a different result than switching the preceding logic with a rising edge one-shot, like I showed above?

I don't think I have ever been programming a PLC and said, "I wish I could use a falling edge one-shot for this". :p

I agree 93lt1, and I make it a point to never use OSFs (or it's equivalent in other brands, i.e. DIFD).

Then again, I never use OUT NOTs ---(/) either... :rolleyes:

I think it's more of a "user's choice" issue. It might make more sense in someone's head to use a OSF, so why NOT make it an available instruction?

With A-B, you have a choice of GRT, GEQ, EQU, NEQ, LES, and LEQ, but could manage just fine with only GRT, EQU, and LES... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
With A-B, you have a choice of GRT, GEQ, EQU, NEQ, LES, and LEQ, but could manage just fine with only GRT, EQU, and LES...-Eric

About as confusing as the TOF. I hate those. Every time I run across one, I have to get into 'help' and see how the timing vs. bit status works.

Eric Nelson said:
With A-B, you have a choice of GRT, GEQ, EQU, NEQ, LES, and LEQ, but could manage just fine with only GRT, EQU, and LES...-Eric

PLC5 has a CMP (compare) instruction which could eliminate all of these, not taking into consideration instruction execution time.