Consumed Alias

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello folks

Is it possible to have a Consumed tag be an Alias for a Local Output in L5K? I can use ladder to move the values from one to the other. I was hoping there was a smoooooooother way to do this. We are moving values from one PAC to another then over hardwire to another controller. Not the best set-up but you have to live with what you got.

Anybody have an ideas?

Last edited:
Greetings Jeff ...

as far as I know, there's no way to make a tag be an "alias" AND be "produced" or "consumed" at the same time ... is that what you're asking for? ...

but I just ran the following idea through the lab and it works ...

at the sending end of the line, I made a new DINT tag and set it up as "produced" ... I named it Local_2_O_Data ... then I wrote a rung to MOVe the contents of Local:2:O.Data into that new tag ...

at the receiving end of the line, I made a new DINT tag and set it up as "consumed" ... I named it Local_2_O_Data ... I pointed this to the alias tag at the other end of the line - and it worked ... specifically, I can see the output data from the "producing/sending" processor being reflected in the "consuming/receiving" processor ...

going further ... I think that I've answered your original question - but I'm not 100% sure that I know what you're trying to accomplish ...

along those (somewhat confused) lines, here's another idea that you MIGHT find useful ...

I have a 1756-OA16/A output module in slot 2 ... this module is owned by the processor in slot 0 ...

I have another processor in slot 8 of the same chassis ... I added the same output module to that processor's I/O Configuration ... BUT ... I set the Comm Format for "Listen Only" mode ...

the output data now shows up as Local:2:I.Data ... specifically, it shows up as "input" data - NOT as "output" data ... I imagine this can really confuse the uninitiated - but heck, stuff like that builds character ...

hope this helps ... sorry if I've completely misunderstood what you're up to ...

Last edited:
Ron as usual you are on the money. That is what I was thinking about.

I stated thinking about the 3AM call because the other guys can't follow the tags. I decided to use ladder and break the DINT into BITs. Using the a Look for it and Write it shcool of thought.

Thanks for the idea, but I was not thinking about the others when I posted the call for help.

Did you get the UPS?