SL500 Question

cotang

I purchased a rack with all the basic I/O modules for learning off ebay. I got the software that comes with it also for a hefty price. I manage to communicate with the 05/04 Processor by going through the help hints in this forum. My question is how do I clear the EEPROM module on the processor or download my code to it for backup?

Another question:
The power supply is a 120V input. The label says Power/Neutral/Chassis ground, would chassis ground be Earth ground (ground off the 120Vac line)?

Thanks.

The power supply is a 120V input. The label says Power/Neutral/Chassis ground, would chassis ground be Earth ground (ground off the 120Vac line)?
Yes, and make sure you have the jumper set correctly for 120v.

On your menu in RSLogix500, under Comms, there is a selection labled EEPROM. From EEPROM you can select Store to EEProm or Read from EEPROM

are you sure that you even have an EEPROM installed? ... most systems don't have one - and it isn't needed for most controls systems ... you're lucky if you got one - but don't drive yourself nuts looking for something that isn't there ...

Eeprom

Well, I may not know how to program a PLC yet but I ain't that stupid.....or maybe I am. I have a module on my processor 1747-M11. I'm a assuming thats the EEPROM.

Well, I may not know how to program a PLC yet but I ain't that stupid.....or maybe I am. I have a module on my processor 1747-M11. I'm a assuming thats the EEPROM.

I truly regret if you misunderstood the tone of my post ... I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were stupid ... I was thinking of the old days when I used to be the "answer man" for an Allen-Bradley distributor ... I remember spending quite a bit of phone time trying to help a frustrated customer download a program to his EEPROM - only to discover that he didn't even have one installed ...

the point of my earlier post was that the system will work fine without an EEPROM ... I was only trying to make sure that you understood that fact ... I’m sorry if I offended you ...

cotang said:

Greetings Cotang

Just some advise, you may want to spend some time searching this forum before you post responses like your last post. After doing some searching you will see that Ron is probably one of the most respected and knowledgable contributors to this site. You can safetly assume that any answer he gives is not meant as critisism, but an honest and straight forward answer. Please dont take things so personal.

Derek

controlled said:
Greetings Cotang

Just some advise, you may want to spend some time searching this forum before you post responses like your last post. After doing some searching you will see that Ron is probably one of the most respected and knowledgable contributors to this site. You can safetly assume that any answer he gives is not meant as critisism, but an honest and straight forward answer. Please dont take things so personal.

Derek

Well said Derek. As I was reading his post I was thinking the same thing. There was nothing in Ron's post that should have lead Cotang to his conclusion.

Agreed... Ron rocks.

But this is the internet, so we may all just be misunderstanding the tones of each other's messages.

Back on topic, I've got two machines with SLC 500's and both came with the EEPROM. It drives me crazy because I always forget to write my changes to it and it wipes them out over the next power cycle when it loads the older EEPROM image. I think I finally changed them so they won't load the program from there.

Ron Beaufort said:
I truly regret if you misunderstood the tone of my post ... I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were stupid ... I was thinking of the old days when I used to be the "answer man" for an Allen-Bradley distributor ... I remember spending quite a bit of phone time trying to help a frustrated customer download a program to his EEPROM - only to discover that he didn't even have one installed ...

the point of my earlier post was that the system will work fine without an EEPROM ... I was only trying to make sure that you understood that fact ... I’m sorry if I offended you ...

I actually didn't take offence to that at all. My response was more address to myself but this is the internet so people probabley took my repsonse the wrong way. Maybe if I put "hahaha" after the first sentence then it would have been a lot easier to understand the post.

From the repsonse from this posting it seemed you be the popular one and have the most experience here so I'll keep that in mind.

first, thanks to all for the kind compliments ...

and it looks like there was some misunderstanding of "tone" all around ...

all is well ... let's get back to work ...