RS Logixs 500

zxninja

Hi there, can you use the Rs logix 500 to program the PLC 5 family? Or am I limited to RS logix 5? I have a 5/25 processor and am using RS logics 5 at the moment, we will be switching to RS 500 at school and would like to know if I will need to change my hardware if I want to use RS logix 500.

Thanks
JEFF

but the good news is ...

I wouldn't run right out and buy an SLC system - the two software packages - (RSLogix5 and RSLogix500) have a VERY common look and feel - that means that everything you learn for one package can be (almost) seamlessly applied to the other - (RSLogix5000 is another story) - anyway, concentrate on learning the PLC-5 system that you already have - then work on learning the DIFFERENCES between the PLC-5 and SLC-500 hardware systems - hints on the major issues: different addressing schemes - all I/O modules MUST be configured in the SLC - big differences in handling analog signals - no DIP switches on the SLC processor for network addressing, etc. -

analogy for the basic idea: learn to drive a "clutch-pedal stick-shift" system (PLC-5) and later an "automatic transmission" system (SLC-500) won't give you much trouble at all -

I think I messed up, it will be RSlogix 5000 that we will be using. Will this software work with the PLC 5 family? Even the classic like the 5/25?

RSLogix5000 only work for Logix platform (ControlLogix, compactlogix,flexlogix,drivelogix), may be someday AB will be make this software to handle a logix controller platform (common software).
But the RSLogix5000 can't work for early AB controllers (SLC,PLC5,etc).

Regards,
Deer