Ethernet I/O newbie

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Guys and gals I got asked to add some IO to a Compctlogix. My first thought no big deal until I saw the panel. Packed full of stuff so adding phyical IO to the local chassis is out. The processoris a 32L already on Ethernet. Can anybody recommend IO for this project? It will be a mixture of Analog and Digital. I have never used E-net IO before so I am open to any advice or warning from the Old Pros out there for a young buck.

Thanks for you time.
JAK

I just finished up a job with Flex I/O using ethernet and ControlLogix and it worked without a hitch. Straight forward and easy to setup, and good for restricted panel space as you can connect right to the TB3 (eg) termainal blocks.

Try Point I/O or Flex I/O from Allen Bradley. I use them in several areas on a control logix system. It should work for compact logix as well

You didn't mention how many I/O you need. If it is just a few you may want to consider going to 16 point analog modules or 32 point digital modules.

I had not even thought about using Flex. I have flex all over this plant using RIO, C-Net but no E-net yet. It sounds like a great idea I am going to look into it thanks for your help. I will let you all know what happens with it.

Look into the 1794-AENT module. Replaces the 1794-ASB that you're used to for RIO.

The last time we tried to buy 1794-AENT modules, we couldn't get them. Apparently Rockwell was having problems with some of their components. Ended up doing the job with FlexIO and DeviceNet -- that got a bit ugly!

If you can get the AENT's now, that's definitely the way to go.

Flex I/O look like a great alternative for use I am in the middle of researching it now. If it is as good as the rest of the flex stuff I think we will be OK.

Guys and Gals I do appreciate your time. Thanks I will let you all know how it went and hopefully I can make it threw this project without bothering you all.