Get data out from the PLC

Purdue_Grad

Hi All,
I need to get data out of a PLC over an ethernet connection. The PLC I am using is a CompactLogix. What kind of software can the PLC write to, possibly excel? I am trying to get voltage, current, and rpm data from the PLC.

If you have RSLinx, you can set up a DDE/OPC topic name that points to your compact logix. You'll need at least RSlinx classic to do this as standard RSlinx Lite (the freebie) doesn't allow DDE. Once you've setup the topic, then in your Excel spreadsheet, setup a cell with the formula =RSLINX|topic_name!tag_name where topic_name is the name you defined in your DDE setup and tag_name is the name of the tag in your CompactLogix PLC.

I would think of it more like "software reading the PLC" rather than "the PLC writing". What format do you expect the data? Are you looking for realtime or historical (logged) data?

Purdue_Grad said:
Hi All,
I need to get data out of a PLC over an ethernet connection. The PLC I am using is a CompactLogix. What kind of software can the PLC write to, possibly excel? I am trying to get voltage, current, and rpm data from the PLC.