TP270 Flash/Ram Enable Back Transfer Question?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've got a TP270 that has recipes on it. I'm using WinCC Flexible to program it. The problem is that I want to be able to upload the code from the HMI.

I have a list of questions that I'm stuck with and I apologise because some of the questions are probably very stupid..!

I think I need a flash card in order to "enable back transfer" as I download the project and therefore allow me to upload the project?

Assuming this is correct, am I right in thinking the 'flash card' goes in the CF slot of the HMI?

If this is correct, why does it let me download now with Flash selected instead of RAM?

Why doesn't it tell me I haven't got a Flash card or am I confusing what Flash and RAM are?

I have been given a card by my boss that has the following written on it "SiliconDrive CF 128Mb SSD-C12MI-3012 Silicon Systems". I fitted it into the HMI and a window popped up asking me to name the drivers (I think this was the message..) it defaulted to unknown card or something like that.. Is this card not suitable, do I need a Siemens branded card or am I doing something wrong?

I realise that there's a lot of questions here but I would really appreciated someone helping me through my confusion on this subject.

Many thanks

:)

You shouldn't need a Siemens branded card, but not all of them will work. I've used Sansdisk and not had any problems.

I'm not as familiar with wincc flex, but have worked with the panels using ProTool.

Yes, that card will have to be in there and you will have to enable upload from somewhere within the project, at least with ProTool you did. It doesn't store a copy on the card until you download the project,have the card installed, and have enabled the upload in the project.

As for wether or not that card works with the messages that were displayed when it was installed, I don't know. I don't remember having to do anything special with the Sansdisk card, but it's been a while. Used it mostly for archiving alarms.

When you enable back transfer it dumps an uncompiled copy of the HMI project on the HMI. The external card is needed because there isnt enough room on the internal memeroy to run the OS, the runtime app AND the uncompiled application.
The uncompiled application is somthing ludicrous like 26-30 meg.

As for which card to use? Ive used Siemens and Sandisk successfully and yes it goes in the CF slot.

Why it lets you download to flash instead of RAM even though in theory you have no flash, I have no clue.

Thanks for the info.

Can I insert the card with power on?

And what do I have to do to configure the card?

Do I have to set something up in WinCC Flex in order for it to realise that there's a card plugged into it?

Power shouldn't matter, if you want to turn it off to be safe go ahead.

You shouldn't have to do anything to configure the card that I can remember.

It really only cares if the card is there if you've setup an archive to the card from within the project, or select the setting to enable upload before you download the project to the HMI panel.

I'd try to be more specific about where to make the settings in Flex but I don't have a copy of it.

Right.. I had a bit of success today but I have more questions.

I put the card in the CF slot and this time it didn't complain. I chose "Enable Back Transfer" when I downloaded to the screen and it downloaded ok (although it took ages!).

As I understand it I should be able to upload the screen now (which I can) but the upload is just the same as the downloaded version and not necessarily the up-to-date version. For instance if some recipes have been changed through the screen then I don't get the changes when I upload?

I've looked at the Control Panel of the screen (i.e shut down runtime) and found a couple of things that might be pertinent. There's a Backup/Restore feature in the control panel. Also, there's a OP selection which gives, among other features, the ability to create "persistent storage" of either the "Save Registry" or "Save Files".

Any ideas what I have to do to put the HMI in a position whereby when I upload I am uploading the correct up to date version of everything on the screen including recipes.???

Many thanks for your help...

Never really worked with recipes much.

ProTool has an import/export data record function that could be used to import/export CSV files. I'm not sure about flex. I assume you'd have to setup a button, configure it with the export data record function, and point it to the right data when you configure it.

Shouldn't the current values be in the PLC, maybe in a datablock.

Tim2,

Yes the current values are downloaded to a datablock from the screen. But all the values are stored within the screen within a recipe. It is also possible, via the screen, to add new products to the recipe list and configure them (they are just downloaded to the PLC when that product is being run). The problem being that if I make any major changes to the screen my offline software (in 6 months from now for instance) will not have all the mods to the recipe data in it.

I wanted to know how I can retrieve the recipe data from the screen and upload it to my PC

Any ideas??

Many thanks

I know at run time you can save recipe data out. You can do each record one at a time or all records at once. Put a button on the screen and look at the events. You should see it under the Recipe section.