AB PLC-5 Processor Configuration.....

m_rod

Hi All,

I am confused to what exactly the "Series" and "Revision" Fields in the Controller COnfiguration Dialog Box mean exactly.

Attached is screenshot of what I currently have.

Config_eg.JPG

When I try and change the controller Series and Rev, it just goes back to the old version. (eg. I am trying to change from my PLC-5/40E from Series C Rev. J to Series E Rev. G) I know I am missing something fundamental here but can't quite put my finger on it.

Thank you in advance.

If you are online with the processor - this is the series and rev of the processor that you are communicating with.

Offline, you can change these to the processor that the code would be installed on.

I have tried chaning the Series and Revision fields Offline, but when I try and go back online and download the program it asks me again to change the configuration back to the original setting.

(eg. I want to change from Series C, Revision J to Series E, Revision G)

After I go offline and apply the change and try to downlaod, this is the screen I get,

Config_eg2.JPG

As you can see it just wants to switch back to the Series C, REvision J configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Are you sure that the new controller is the revision you think it is (Series E, revision G)?
OR
Do you need to flash the processor?

You cannot change the firmware or revision just by selecting it in software. It needs a new firmware chip, or flash upgrade it if the processor has that capability.

getting right to the point - WHY do you want to change those settings? ... is there some feature available with the newer versions that you aren't able to use with the older ones? ...

tell us more about WHY you're trying to make the change ... maybe there's a simple workaround ...

Very good point.

I am not sure on the differences between the different series and revision letters to begin with so I can't really answer.

Is there any documentation outlining what the differences between the different settings. I can't find anything useful in the HELP files.

Thanks.

The point, m_rod, is that those are not SETTINGS that you use to CONFIGURE a processor. Those are the manufacturing level of the actual processor, and are printed on the lable on the side of the CPU.

In order to actually change them, at the very least, you would need to change the PROM's on the processor card itself. Probably you would have to change the entire processor, as some revisions are not software at all, but are hardware changes.

Again, why are you trying to change them?

To find out the differences, go to ab.com, literature library, and search for "PLC-5 Firmware". There are many documents explaining the added features and corrected anomolies for each firmware level.

In order to change the firmware of a PLC5 you either need to send it to the factory or use a problem called Control Flash in order to reburn the firmware.

This is not usually done unless there is an issue.

Logix reads the settings from the processor, that's why they change when you go online.

So unless you have an issue that AB has told you to upgrade the firmware then just leave the settings alone.

The reason I wanted to change these settings was because I was using an existing program (that will have many similarities) and it was obviously using a controller that was flashed with a different firmware.

When I was trying to connect the PLC to a Wonderware HMI, I had problems so I thought it might have something to do with the Series and Revision of the controller. I realized quickly that this was probably not the case and low and behold, I changed some configuration setting on the ABTCP Wonderware IOServer and I established communications.

Thank you all for your help. It was very educational.