Help with G3 Crimson2 and ML1500

ARCFLASH

Hope this is an easy one for someone in the know.

We are currently converting a ML 1500 system with PV to a Red Lion G3. This is my first go with the RL G3 so I am used to the PB32 not so much the Crimson.

The current PLC program uses a status bit from the PView to let it know what screen is on the display.
How do I handle this with the G3 in Crimson?

Also, are there any tips on exporting the tags from
RSL500 and formatting them for Crimson?

Thanks All

The current PLC program uses a status bit from the PView to let it know what screen is on the display.
How do I handle this with the G3 in Crimson?
I don't believe there is a built-in way to do this in Crimson (it would be great if they'd add a system variable to indicate current screen). That said, it can easily be done by creating a tag with a name like CurrentScreen, which could be assigned to a PLC address. Then, put the statement "CurrentScreen := x" in the "On Select" action of each page (under Page Properties), where x is the number of that page.

Thanks kolyur,

I saw the actions dropdown but the manual did not
reference this syntax. Looks like my first go with
the G3 may be an adventure.

I'll give this a try.

Again, many thanks

OK, Got all the tags exported from PB and reformatted for Crimson. Exported some sample tags from crimson
to get the format. Beware the 24 character limit for tag names in crimson.Kept getting errors on import for some of the tags til I figured that one out.

I'm implimenting kolyur's suggestion to get around the Status Tag. But I find that I also need the Control Tag as well. We need to control some of
the pages being displayed from the PLC.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?

Thanks

The best way to approach this is to have 2 tags mapped the PLC. One that is the page number that you wish to go to, and another that is a bit to tell us to switch to the commanded page. There is a way to do it without the bit, but then you will not be able to select pages from the unit, as the PLC page will always override the page you select in the G3.

You will use an Active On trigger on the Flag (bit) tag that will call a program. The program will just be a big Switch statement, which will use the GotoPage. I can provide an example if you like.

Regards,
Dan

DanYost said:
..... There is a way to do it without the bit, but then you will not be able to select pages from the unit, as the PLC page will always override the page you select in the G3.

Regards,
Dan

We currently set the page to display with the control tag, then once we see that the page on the unit matches using the status tag, we clear the control bit which returns control back to the PV.
Not sure if that could work with this or not.

DanYost said:
You will use an Active On trigger on the Flag (bit) tag that will call a program. The program will just be a big Switch statement, which will use the GotoPage. I can provide an example if you like.

An example would be great. I understand the actions dropdown for pages in kolyur's response but here I don't know where to apply or the syntax.

Thanks so much.

I am not sure what kind of G3 you are using, but I wrote the example for a G303 to show that it can be done even with the lowest model. I also just choose the PLC registers at random, well really not random, but I am lazy so I used the first available registers...

Here is an example that has the G3 set a value in the PLC to let it know what page it is on. It also has 2 other tags, a value to tell the G3 which page to go to and a bit that tells the G3 to change to the commanded page via an Active On trigger.

Feel free to post, call, or email with any questions.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks Dan,

I think I've got it.

BTW we are using the G310C if that changes things.

I guess I only need to add a rung to the PLC that states if the the G3Page NEQ the PLCPage excluding zero, then set the Change Page bit.

Once the pages are equal the Change Page bit should reset. Do I still need This?

// clear the change page bit
Change_Page = 0;

Again, many thanks

You can leave that line in and let the G3 clear it, or you can remove that from the program and let the PLC clear it. You could also leave it in the program and still have the PLC clear it, even though it may already be cleared by us.

Regards,
Dan