Omron CJ1M to control Yaskawa ServoPack?

mdgilmore

I have a CJ1M-CPU22 and I want to send pulse and direction signals to a Yaskawa SGDH-10AE ServoPack, but I don't know exactly what wires on the servopacks 1CN terminal I need to hookup. Has anyone done this before? I have seen on some of our other machines that a 220 ohm resister was used coming from the controllers to the drive, and I dont know if I need that with the PLC acting as the controller? Thank in advance for any help.

Mike

i was doing just that few days ago with CJ1M-CPU21 and SGDH and FSP drives (both drives have same I/Os since FSP seam to be Sigma-II hardware with different firmware)

1. decide what do you want. the simplest form is open loop (you just send pulses to drive) but i would recommend getting position feedback from drive to plc as well.

2. get right manuals, for example:
http://www.yaskawa.com/site/products.nsf/subGroup/ServoAmplifiers.html

3. choose signal type and stick to it (quadrature or pulse + direction). if you change your mind later on, you will have to change wiring since Omron built in I/O mapping will depend on this. pulse + direction has advantage that you can easily check if the PLC sends data in right direction by looking at output LEDs but all code examples in Omron manuals are using quadrature (so choice is yours). be careful when reading Omron manuals because all documents I could find show wrong comments for IN1 for example and B20 is not connected anywhere.

4. Bare minimum is to send pulses from PLC to servo. PLC outputs are NPN and correct wiring would use three outputs (CW, CCW and Clear for example which is A16, A17 and A18)
you would want to connect those to drive treminals 8,12 and 14.
to complete circuits you also need to place jumpers on servo side (3-7, 11-13, 15-18). of course, plc outputs need to be powered (A19, A20) and drive's SG (such as terminal 1 or 2 of 1CN) need to be connected to A20.
note - described connection does not isolate PLC and Servo Amp.

5. depending on your drive configuration some drive inputs need to be wired. assuming you are using default drive settings, make sure to connect 47 to +24V and 40,42,43 to 0VDC or better - to remaining outputs (40-42-43-B16, 44-B17).

6. if you want position feedback in the plc, you should use drive outputs 33/34, 35/36, 19/20 and wire them into PLC inputs. note these outputs are low level so your plc inputs would have to use "LD+"/"LD-" terminals wihch are 5V. in this case you should use IN8 (A14/A15), IN9 (B14/B15) and IN0 (A2/A3) or to be precise:
33-A14, 34-A15, 35-B14, 36-B15 etc. depending on your PLC setup, you may not need 19/20 wired to IN0.

7. to get alarms, you can connect 30 and 32 to 0VDC. then connect 29, 31 to plc inputs such as B3 and B6. to complete circuit, connect either B2 and B5 to drive pin4 (+5V) or B1 and B4 to +24V. you can also get alarm code outputs same way...

some notes:
- download and run eModules (tutorials) from Yaskawa website
- you can setup drive parameters either through keypad/panel or with software (downloadable from yaskawa website)
- for SGDH you can use either Sigma-II software or go for Sigma-5 software (later one supports both drives and has more features)
- when you go online with drive, drive panel display goes blank (this is normal, on FSP it stays blank until you cycle power)
- when you are downloading parameters to drive, turn off S-ON (this is why it's handy to have it on PLC output)
- software checks if changed parameters are within acceptable range but if you do need to break the rule (like electronic gear ratio >100) you should still be able to do it using drive keypad/panel
- some drives (larger ones) have no built-in regen resistor. for those drives you must use external regen.
- make sure to check motor wire marking before electrician chops the too long cable and throws the extra piece away. motor wire color is one piece of information that Yaskawa documentation seam to lack.
- if the motor phases are not in right order you will have very unstable system / runaway axis. in my case the motor produced sharp kick on powerup, then remained buzzing and getting warmer than usual. slightest touch and axis would take of at top speed...
- on FSP drive (only 200W) I've noticed similar behaviour and very frequent overload faults (every 20-30 seconds or so) and that's with correct wiring, factory default parameters and no load connected to motor. when coupled to load, additional inertia would change this behavior to low frequency oscillations. tuning axis got rid of all side effects, drive and motor stayed cold and axis was running rock stable with or without load.

Last edited:
panic mode said:
in my case the motor produced sharp kick on powerup, then remained buzzing and getting warmer than usual. slightest touch and axis would take of at top speed....

Adjusting the position loop gain of the servo amplifier should sort this. If the motor is left "Buzzing" this will eventually cause an overload. I had a very similar problem and the auto-tune feature would not correct this. We had to tune the driver manually.

PS. Did you ever sort out the origin search problem?

hi Woody,

actually this was due to swapped motor phases. the other motor was unstable without load which was corrected by changing parameters.

further testing and changing program to use ORG for homing was abandoned due lack off time (tool had to go).

just last minute before it was powered down i did one last test (should have thought about it before), i added org instruction as first rung followed by end instruction so rest of program was not scanned.

servo was disabled because of removed guards but look at the plc outputs showed pulse train. flagging home sw stopped pulses.
it is clear now that there was an issue with original plc code which prevented org from executing properly and i never had time to dig deeper.
cheers