Slc 500 - 1746-ni8

smohamed

Hey everyone,

I have a Analog Input Class 3 module, 1746-NI8. When doing the configuration, specifically moving the analog configuration to the Output Words, do I have to set the word length to 12? Or can I keep it as eight (8) as in a Class 1 module?

Regards.

Word lenght is 12 for class three. The software will do this for you, automatically. If you are changing from class 1 to class 3 then delete
the instruction for the output configuration and let the software readd it for class 3 configuration.

I don't remember what AB has to say about it, but I have used both. It looks like if you use eight you wont get the channel status though.

Class 3 vs Class 1 just adds additional 4 words for setting user scaling. You can still have the module entered in the configuration as Class 3 and only write 8 words, as long as you don't configure it for user scaling. However, you will still have 12 words allocated in the Output image file for the module. If you really only want to use the 8 words, I would do as others have recommended, and remove the Class 3 and enter it as a Class 1 for the sake of consistency.