SSD Drives

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok, its late on Saturday night and I have a small job to do early tomorrow (Sunday) morning. I have a machine with an SSD drive model 690+. It is constantly faulting with a DESAT OVER I message. SSD has suggested exchanging the drive and having the faulty one sent back for repairs. Before I can remove the old one I have to upload the existing parameters. I have ConfigEd Lite installed on my laptop and I have the correct download cable. The problem is, I have never used this software before and I have no idea how to upload or dwonload programs. I have been playing with the software for a few hours and connot see how to do this.
If anyone can give me a quick run through I would greatly appreciate it.
As I said, all I have to do is upload the existing parameters and then download to the new drive.

Thanks in advance....

Derek

Hi

Heres a quick lowdown.......

1. Firstly check you laptop has linx turned off or set to another comm port other than the one you want to use! Even if linx is not in the taskbar it can sometimes be on, check in task manager or else you will never connect!

2. Connect cables from your laptop to the drive (use the drives com port thats under the MMI as sometimes the 2nd port is not as user friendly, if its a small 690 it will only have 1 comm port.

3. open up config ed lite

4. set your comm port to 9600 first and the correct number (ie comm 1)

Command > Comms

5. Then in config ed lite go Command > GetInfo

If the comms are right then the 690+ will be identified in the scratch pad, if no 690 is found then you will get an error box appear. Make a note of version number here.

6. If the drive WAS NOT found go back to step 4 and reset comms too another baud rate say 19200 then try again.

If the drive was found go to step 7

7. In config ed lite go to File > New > New

A dialog box opens, go to C:\program files\cedlite\new\690\ver5

Where Ver5 is the version number you found in step 5. (Or just use Ver5)

Select default.690 (or if you have a different directory structure then do a search for default.690 etc) and click OK

8. the default config loads up

9. Now whilst connected to the drive click Command > Update

This sucks out the config in your existing drive and overwrites the default.690 config with it.

Do a Save as and save the drives uploaded config

10. Swop drives

11. Plug in laptop to drive and perform steps above to find comms baud rate, usually 19.2 or 9.6K

12. make sure your new config is loaded up within cedlite and displayed on your screen

Go to Command > Full Install (you will get an ok dialog box here telling you that you will be overwriting motor parameters or something like that etc just click OK)

Note: Sometimes the install hangs half way through (Windoze at its best!), just cancel and do it again.

Presto Job Done.... (Note if the new drive has a different config baud rate to the old drive it may stop uploading half way through and error,just then do the full install again and it should be ok - You may need to reset cedlites baud rate to the new one as well)

Note if you have a MMI (LCD Screen) plugged into the drive the best comms port is located under here and a note if you have a MMI plugged into the drive you can just save the parameters to the MMI and upload these to the new drive without opening your laptop.

From memory its something like this (Explained in the manual better)......
Press E key 3 times to get to first menu, press M, press Up arrow untill you get to parameter save, press M, press Up or down arrow untill you get to Save Config, press M, press up or down arrow untill you get to Save to Op Station, Press M and then from memory Press Up arrow to Perform SAVE.

if unfamiliar then do both :)

Last edited:
The thing is have I have the software but i dont have the cable. You have written that you can still copy parameters to MMI. By MMI you mean the thing with the buttons labeled E M L/R? . I have read the manual and can seem to find what you have suggested.

PS: I have the same drive as @OP

The thing is have I have the software but i dont have the cable. You have written that you can still copy parameters to MMI. By MMI you mean the thing with the buttons labeled E M L/R? . I have read the manual and can seem to find what you have suggested.

PS: I have the same drive as @OP

For a 690

Press the E button three times
Press the M button once
Press the Up Arrow once

Your display should now say SYSTEM

Press the M button once

Your Display should now say SAVE CONFIG

Press the M button once

You can now use the Up and Down arrow to scroll between

OpStation <&> Application (OpStation saves to the MMI)

READ page 5/15 of the manual onwards before trying this