Siemens issue

omolara2000

Hello everyone, I got a new job as control supervisor which am to start in 2 months time, but the company uses majorly Siemens PLC and I'm use to Mitsubishi, never had the oppourtunity to play with Siemens PLC programming software before! I become increasingly worried as to how things will actually looks difficuit for me when I start this job. I knew you guy are highly experience and familiar with different brand of PLC, can someone pls advice me of the likely problem I may encounter with my new role also did any one have Siemens's PLC programming software which I can install on my laptop for some familiraization, won't mind paying some reasonable amonth for the software pls.

Singapore_Mats said:
Yes Siemens are much more advanced and complicated.Ask you new company to borrow Step7-discs, you will not find much 'free' to download.

You are right! Most things about Siemens cost money. But they actually have a stripped down version of Step 7 that i think is free Step7 lite. You could also call Siemens and ask for a demo disc of Step 7 and PlcSim the demo comes with a trial license that is valid under a limited time.

I also went from medoc to Step 7 a couple of years ago and i have to agree with Singapore_Mats. Siemens is much harder to learn then Mitsubishi but once you get to know it you dont wanna go back. Step 7 might not be perfect but it is a much better software than the IEC developer.

Last edited:
Last year i learned the program with GX IEC devolloper. Personally i think that the Siemens- software is better.

If you want some free software try 'www.vipa.de', it has a build-in simulator and has +- the functionality as step7-lite.

Here you could find some S7 training manuals but the links is not active anymore:

http://www.automation.siemens.com/f...down_module.htm

Does somebody know where to find the manuals?

siemens issue

many thanks to all of you for all advice, i have downloaded the S7 lite, actually very slow like you guys said, but again too many things to learn in it, have printed all the manual! about 600 pages! taking my time to go through each manual page by page. I will always come back for help 'F1'! as my learning progress.

many thanks once again.

Hi Adewale.

As you are going to be a supervisor, you have to be more proficient than what can be learned by just fumbling about offline with the reduced LITE version of STEP7. Of course, it may be a good idea to be well prepared so the time you use with STEP7 LITE isnt wasted. When you discussed the job with your new employer you must have talked about your present knowledge and how to get up to date with S7. Did your new employer lay a plan for your education ?

Without knowing what you have agreed upon, I would guess that when you get started at your new job, the first thing to do is to get a course at Siemens in S7 and STEP7.

Siemens Help pls!

Many thanks to eveyone that has been of help so far, just to recap you of my situation, a maintenance engineer who recently get offered a job as a supervisor in a company where all machine are working on Siemens PLC, I have learnt alot from the STEP7 LITE V3.0 and getting pretty confident in the uses!, can't wait to go on-line. however, I still got lots to learn.
I was trying to write a program for controlling a traffic light, not for a project but just as a practice using ladder diagram but am unable to edith the symbol table! whatever a write inside the address coloum of the symbol table the system dosen't seem to like it, can someone pls advice on the right way to edith the symbol table. pls see the attached file for better clearity of my question

cheers
Adewale

JesperMP said:
Hi Adewale.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

As you are going to be a supervisor, you have to be more proficient than what can be learned by just fumbling about offline with the reduced LITE version of STEP7. Of course, it may be a good idea to be well prepared so the time you use with STEP7 LITE isnt wasted. When you discussed the job with your new employer you must have talked about your present knowledge and how to get up to date with S7. Did your new employer lay a plan for your education ?

Without knowing what you have agreed upon, I would guess that when you get started at your new job, the first thing to do is to get a course at Siemens in S7 and STEP7.

Hi again.

In the symbol table you have to fill out the "address" and "data type" columns.

Look in the help for what kind of adresses and data types are possible.

Examples of addresses are:

I2.3 BOOL
IB4 BYTE
Q4.5 BOOL
M0.0 BOOL
MW20 WORD
MW22 INT
MD24 REAL
MD28 DINT
etc.

omolara2000 said:
many thanks to all of you for all advice, i have downloaded the S7 lite, actually very slow like you guys said, but again too many things to learn in it, have printed all the manual! about 600 pages! taking my time to go through each manual page by page. I will always come back for help 'F1'! as my learning progress.

many thanks once again.

Hi
Are you going to be a maintenance supervisor? In most setups I come across in the UK the maintenance role is limited to fault finding and monitoring of the PLC to identify which limit switch etc has not operated.

Larger companies may have one or more 'techie' types who do programming, or use system integrators.

It is good to have an overview but if you are supervising the whole maintenance team dont get too bog down on the PLC side (unless you are also the techie)

Cheers

siemens simulator

Hello everyone, did anyone know where I can download siemens S7 simulator, I write some programm using s7 lite and I need to simulate the programm, I will appreciate any advice or link through which I can download the simulator or a demo version.

cheers