Online Editing Dropping Out

rhill

I am programming a SLC 5/05 using the ethernet port. Sometimes when I do online edits and I go to assemble edits, RSLogix crashes. I can upload and download to the processor without any problems. This seems to be the only processor that makes my software crash as I have never had a problem with the 5/03's using the 1761-NET-ENI. The other weird thing is that I can go through the DF1 port and do online edits without crashing. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

BTW I am running RSLogix 6.0 on XP with RSLinx2.41.

Can't say that I have but I have had the same problem, years back, with 6200 SW and PLC-5 family. I cleaned up my PC defrag etc.. and it cleared up. I think my pc was getting bogged down and I was experiencing a time out.

Probably don't help.
Good luck
Roger

I also had a problem with RSlogix crashing when I would assemble online edits. This was on a 5/04 processor, was never really sure why it would do this. I got a new laptop and the problem hasn't happend since???

One thing about this is that I had freshly installed XP Pro, RSLogix, Linx, View, Networx when I started having this problem. I'll try defraging it on Monday and let you know how it goes.

Try to install the software on another computer. This will tell you if the problem is related to that particular PC.

Maybe the problem is not originated in the PC.
That RSLogix crashes can be a case of the software not handling network problems in a proper manner.

Do you have other enthernet components hooked up, or do you have a direct connection ?
Try to use a direct connection. This will tell you if the problem is related to the network components.

I've found the problem! The processor node was set to 0 and rslinx node was set to 0 causing a conflict. It's funny how it only affected it during online edits though.

Rob

I recently had a problem like this trying to online edit some 5/04 s where the message would come up "assemble edits failed" and then you could not see the processor in linx the only way to recover this was to go to the processor and cycle power,the dh+ led was flashing red this problem did my nut in and caused quite a bit of sh?t as everyone didnt appreciate me shutting down there plant.
I thought that maybe this was a problem with too much messaging on the dh+ so i rationlised all the messaging on site.But the problem still occured intermittently.
Solution - now I do all online editing of said proccessors via channel 0 with no problems and hence no one gets p**sed off and im still employed.
Does anyone know why this is happening BTW im using 2000 pro and logixs ver 5.2

Cheers Rob

Hey guys,

First, I want to say that this post has no facts backing it, I'm just more or less thinking out loud, maybe it will jar something for someone else to come up with a solution...

Second, I'm more of a computer freak (geek, whatever...lol) than a plc uberguru (hell, I'm just a n00b), so I'll conjecture from the point of windows and the pc.

The one thing that intrigues me with these posts is the fact that they deal with a certain version of windows, 2000 and xp. Both of those os' were designed with the SOHO (small office, home office) network in mind. Plus, they are not designed for the 'peer to peer' type of networking that the 9x kernel was designed for (95, 98 and ME) since NT was the main thrust for networking. Since then, xp and 2k have been written on the NT kernel with that in mind, and for networking, ie, the machine can be either a client or a server running any version of xp and 2k (although, the server or 'pro' version of both is designed for servers...). Since XP is mainly for the home user, it wants to help, but not always in a good way (xp is a great os, imho, but there is a reason why m$n is trying to release server 2003 in a real hurry...)

With that background, given the fact that I 'think' linx is setup as more of a peer to peer type connection with linx acting as the 'server' in most cases, I can see where there may be a conflict with xp and 2k trying to network with a device as linx being the intermediate server. Think of it as having 2 kids, and both want to be the good guy and no one wants to be the bad guy.

The reason why this came to mind, as one person posted, they had no problems on node 0 when they online edit, yet, windows starts with node 1 for networking, not 0....

Just some thoughts I had....

Hoot

This problem has appeared since XP Prof was installed

Fresh Install of 2.41/6.00/XPSP1

5 or 5000 do not crash during online edits but 500 does, both thru Micro/ENi and thru 5/05 e-net - also crashes during descr/symbol edits only

seems to be XP OS as the same software on win2ksp3 seems fairly stable