ControlNet MSG communication question for Controllogix

coolblind

Hi guys, I got a question about the process of setting up an unscheduled cached connection. I read some materials from AB and also I found a note in the Rockwell knowledgebase named "Connected vs. Cached Communications" with the ID 28483.

Also, I know there are 10 (by default) outgoing "Unconnected Buffers" and 3 incoming "Unconnected Buffers" for all unconnected message, also there are 32 "Cached Buffer" for all unscheduled cached connection.

Let's say, now, there are two Controllogix controller A, B, and A wants to set up a unscheduled cached connection with B, according to the ID 28483 article, there are what happen in A:

1. The originator of the messages will send an unconnected request to the target to establish a connection.

2. When the connection is made the data is sent.

3. When the data has been sent and acknowledged the originator will move the connection to the cached tables.

4. A timer is started. If the message is not executed again in 7.5 seconds then the last sent data is resent. This keeps the connection open.

5. This will continue to happen until the controller goes to program mode, the target drops off, or another message needs the cached buffer. Then the originator will send an unconnected message to close the connection.

My question is what happen in B during this process?

In step 1 above, when B receives the unconnected request, does the request take one of three the incoming unconnected buffers? If yes, does that means B can only accept 3 unconnected messages or connection requests at the same time?

In 3 step, does B also move the connection to the cached tables either, so it can free the incoming unconnected buffer in this way?

Any input, please...

The key point is if the Controlloigx controller can only handle THREE unconnected messages or connection requests at the same time? Since there are only 3 incoming buffer according to the knowledgebase article.

There's a difference between uncached and unconnected. When I read the documentation (keep in mind that I was skimming it), I interpreted the unconnected buffers to be a very temporary holding place for new messages.
So, yes, if four new messages come in at almost exactly the same time something will be dropped. I believe that caching connections is supposed to prevent a repeat request from using the unconnected buffers, but there is a limit on the connected buffers, too. You'll need to weigh the benefits.

akreel said:
There's a difference between uncached and unconnected. When I read the documentation (keep in mind that I was skimming it), I interpreted the unconnected buffers to be a very temporary holding place for new messages.
So, yes, if four new messages come in at almost exactly the same time something will be dropped. I believe that caching connections is supposed to prevent a repeat request from using the unconnected buffers, but there is a limit on the connected buffers, too. You'll need to weigh the benefits.

Yes, even if it is "uncached", it is still a connection, and you can select cache or not in the MSG instruction box when use a CIP table read/write protocol. But for the unconnected, there is no connection at all.

But no matter if the connection cached or not, when you try to initiate it, it will always use the unconnected buffers, right?

So my understanding is: (correct me if it is wrong)

Assuming all the MSG are cached connection type, for the receiver, it still can only handle 3 initiation requests from others at the same time. But as long as these connections have been set up, they will be moved to the connection buffers (I believe it is 32), so the receiver can accept other initiation requests or unconnection messages.