erasing/uploading to SLC 5/01

derelikt

I have an SLC 5/01 in which the original program was written with Bit S:1/14 set to on, which means that I need a copy of the program on my pc before I can connect. I have the original software, but continue having problems connecting. I cannot however, find the proper procedure for connecting. User access is blocked when I upload from the plc, and when I try to download to the plc it looks like it starts to go, then I get an error message that says "download error, unable to set max station address". I am not familiar with this error, and cannot find reference to it in help or at AB's website either. What does this error mean?

I tried to erase the memory by shorting pins 14 and 28 on IC3, and this doesn't work. The program is still there.

Can someone explain how to get past the max station address error, or at least how to completely erase this unit?

Thank you so much for all help, I'm pretty frustrated.

Greetings derelikt ...

and welcome to the forum ...

did you follow the directions covered in this post?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=266701&postcount=2

common mistakes:

failure to remove 1747-M1 memory module (if present) and LEAVE IT OUT ...

failure to disconnect battery before shorting pins ...

failure to short pins for long enough period (I always go for 60 seconds) ...

question: how do you KNOW that S:1/14 is set ON if you can’t go online? ... maybe (no offense intended) you’re trying to fix the wrong problem ... tell us what messages you see when you try to go online with RSLogix500 ...

don’t get frustrated ... if it were always easy then EVERYBODY could do it ...

Thanks for you help so far! As far as the link you gave me, I had found similar information in these forums, but your link gave me precise instructions that I really needed.

I have successfully erased the unit and am leaving the EEPROM removed.

As far as the the S:1/14 bit is concerned, I didn't explain myself clearly in my first post. While the EEPROM is installed, I CAN connect to the PLC. After I see the unit in RSLinx, then I open RSLogix and upload the program. I can go online, and switch the PLC between RUN mode and program mode. But in the ladder window, there is small text that says access to the program is blocked.

Anyways, I have the memory now erased, EEPROM removed. I have my program on the laptop ready to download to the PLC, but when I try to download, I get the message that

Download Failed!
Could not set max station address.

This is the problem I have had from the very beginning, and I thought it was a problem related to the S:1/14 bit, but evidently it's not. Can you perhaps shed any light on what parameters could have an affect on recieving this message? The PLC is not faulty because I have tried a matching PLC (loaded with same software) and am always getting the same results. I am connecting via a USB (DF1) to DH485 converter. I seem to have no apparent problems with connection. Is there a parameter that I am missing here?

Thanks,
erik

Ron Beaufort said:
did you follow the directions covered in this post?
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=266701&postcount=2

common mistakes:
failure to remove 1747-M1 memory module (if present) and LEAVE IT OUT ...
failure to disconnect battery before shorting pins ...
failure to short pins for long enough period (I always go for 60 seconds) ...

question: how do you KNOW that S:1/14 is set ON if you can’t go online? ... maybe (no offense intended) you’re trying to fix the wrong problem ... tell us what messages you see when you try to go online with RSLogix500 ...

Thanks for your reply Genius.

However, I can't agree with you, because at this jobsite, there is a third SLC 5/01 and I have succesfully connected, uploaded, and downloaded software to that SLC 5/01 using this USB converter (this 3rd PLC was not locked with the S:1/14 bit).

In addition, I happen to have a old PIC with me, and I tried that as well earlier today, and I am getting the EXACT same message while connecting with the old PIC.

geniusintraining said:
You can not use a USB for a 5/01 nor can you use a DF1 driver, you need a PIC, a real serial port and use a PIC driver...

EDIT: read this http://www.plctrainer.net/PICDriverAllenBradley.pdf

Last edited:
derelikt said:
Thanks for your reply Genius.

However, I can't agree with you, because at this jobsite, there is a third SLC 5/01 and I have succesfully connected, uploaded, and downloaded software to that SLC 5/01 using this USB converter.

In addition, I happen to have a old PIC with me, and I tried that as well earlier today, and I am getting the EXACT same message while connecting with the old PIC.

I and many others will pay big money to use a USB adapter with a 5/01...

If this is the case can you please list the details on how you did this... did you use a PIC with the USB?

The 5/01 only has a PIC connection on it (also a 502) a 503 can have a serial and PIC connection a 504 has a DH+ and a Serial connection, so I think you may have the model numbers not correct, I manufacture communication cables for PLC's and trust me you can not use anything else but a PIC driver with a 501 (unless there is one that I am not aware of) and I have never heard of anyone being able to connect a USB to it as it needs a hardware connection not software.

One more thing to consider.... I have never had an issue communicating to a PLC and you have ;)

Do you have a copy of your program?? I will download it to a 5/01 to see if there may be some other issue with the program or S:1/14

It is a SLC 500 5/01 CPU Processor that is about 16-17 years old. The actual model number is 1747-L511 Ser# L511-0192N1061. It has a DH-485 port in the front of it.

When I successfully connect to the unlocked PLC, I take the following steps:

1. Plug in USB, and use an ethernet cable to connect the converter with the 5/01 CPU.
2. Start RSLinx
3. Install RS-232 DF-1 Driver
4. I matched the COM port with the one from my windows drivers list.
5. Selected PLC-CH0 for the device.
6. Set error checking to CRC.
7. Do NOT auto-configure, as this doesn't work.

Bingo, the PLC appears under the AB-DF1, Data Highway Plus. I open up RSLogix and have complete access to the program, and can normally upload and download software.

1. Plug in USB, and use an ethernet cable to connect the converter with the 5/01 CPU. How does the ethernet cable get to the USB? adapter?

If this works I will need your address to send you the check :)

instead of "USB", I think we're talking about a "1747-UIC" device ... maybe that's where some of the confusion is coming in ...

Last edited:
Ron Beaufort said:
instead of "USB", I think we're talking about a "1747-UIC" device ... maybe that's where some of the confusion is coming in ...

'Ding' Ding' Ding' 🙃

Now I understand.... still send me the program and I will give you another set of eyes on it.... or post it and you will have many eyes on it.

derelikt said:
My error is "could not SET max station address" while this error description link deals with "could not GET max station address". Thanks though!

Sorry. As GIT ask, post your code and we will see if we can spot something.

Good morning everyone....

Erik emailed me the file.

OK, I sold my last 5/01 so I had to change and download the processor type to a 5/02, I also had to go from a 7slot to a 13 slot rack, I had all the cards but the last one and changed it from an OW16 to an OV16....

I don't think any of the changes should of made a difference as the program was not changed.

S:1/14 bit is low (0)

After the download went on line and to run with no issues....

So I have no idea on what the issue may be, other then something to do with the UIC, as I know nothing about them.

Erik, Do you have an real serial port on the PC? if so.... you pay for shipping and I will send you a PIC, if it works for you and you want to keep it then just pay me, if not send it back, but using a PIC you need a real serial port, not a USB

If anyone has any ideas or want me to try a few things let me know... I will be back later this afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Mark

PS, Erik the email said you sent it 12 hrs ago but I just got it this morning??? slow email :)

501file.JPG