S7 System

mcnaughtc

Good day all

I'm currently putting together a new control system consisting of a PCS7 control system 4 x Siemens 416-3 Cpu's and multiple remote ET200M I/O Systems

Most of the remote I/O Stations are linked via fiber optic/OLM Modules as they are mounted out in the field.

And in the cases were there is a short run of 50 meters or less I have stuck with standard profibus cable run well clear of any power lines, and these runs are all housed inside buildings.

Am also running 2 x redundant servers, 1 x Client and 1 x engineering system connected via industrial ethernet to fiber optic to a remote building where the PLC'S are housed.

I've attached 2 simple drawings of layouts of the system for a rough idea of the layout.

So in short i'm putting this out to get any ideas/comments on the system, where improvements could be made or things done differently. So that I could incorporate it into the current system, budget permitting of course.

Cheers
Craig

Hello mcnaughtc;

Well, at first glance, the layout appears workable; it would require a lot more details before we could give an informed criticism of your project.
Your selection of the different OLMs has of course taken into account the type of fiber and the number of optical interfaces required at each node. The electrical star and bus topologies that you show are supported without problems. Distances are only limited by the type of fiber, so this should already have been taken into accopunt; speed is independant of distance over fiber.
The latest version of OLMs include some diagnostic features that you will be able to use during commissioning, so that should be useful.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Daniel Thanks for the Reply, and comments

What sort of other details would you like? am sure i can provide them.

What sort of diagnostics options are you refering to for the OLMS?

Cheers

Craig

Hello Craig;

here is how Siemens" update FAQ descibe the diagnostic functions of the OLMs:

Enhanced diagnostic features and fast fault localization by signaling of the FOC line quality via LEDs and measuring terminal (enables reading the signal level of the FOC line quality via an analog module into a PLC)
</SPAN>
Specifically, there are CHANxLevel LEDs that indicate whether the quality of the optical signal on a specific interface are of acceptable levels; and the installation/operation manual shows how to connect a voltmeter to a specific point to measure to "optical level" voltage. This will indicate fiber wear or tear. It can be linked to an analog inoput and read by the PLC if required.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier