Rs Logix 500

Paul11

I am currently running rs logix 500 on my home pc and my works laptop. Presently I am plugging an external floppy drive into either machine to activate the floppy key. Is it possible to put the key on both computers at the same time or will I need to contact rockwell. Thanks

You need to contact Rockwell.
You need a seperate key for each installation of the software.

However, I've been told in the past that you can use a USB flash drive to keep keys on and just take that to every computer you use, BUT I've never done this or witnessed it so I don't know how true it is.

yes that does work via flash drive however I believe it may be limited by versions the other workaround is to install the activation code on one PC then the floppy itself can be moved to the other PC

You should be able to do an "evmove" to load the soft key onto one of the computers. You can put it on the "C:\" drive. Then use the floppy each time in the other computer. As long as floppy is in the drive it will still act as a key even with the soft key on the other computer.

I believe this still works. Try it and let me know... Good Luck!

Todd.

The thing with the USB keys is that EVMOVE won't allow you to put the keys onto a "removeable drive." Most USB keys are recognized as removeable drives by Windows 2000 or XP. Back in the day, you could get around this with a dumb USB key and a dumb operating system like Windows '95 or Windows '98. Now, I don't think there's a way to do this with XP.

But wait! Call your local rep. Since RA has been threatening for years to get rid of the current activation scheme for RSLogix, I am pretty sure that they can sell you a USB key that is formatted to hold the license and let you activate different computers by plugging it in. In fact, I think I have one in my drawer that I got over a year ago and have never used. Yep. It's a "USB Dongle Kit V1.00.00." Guess that's why I've never opened it... never use V1.00.00! The PN is 9509USBDONG; call your rep and ask what the deal is with these, I think it's intended to solve your problem.

Nice. Do you know if RSLogix can then find the license on the USB key, or is this solution only intended to move from one HD to another?

You could always use a floppy disk imaging program like undisker to archive your activation floppy. If the floppy disk itself fails you then have a backup. It's a relatively simple procedure to create a virtual floppy drive on the laptop and load the backup activation disk image to then run evmove from. As long as you are not running the 2 simultaneously, I'm not sure you're in breach of the license agreement.

Paul T said:
Nice. Do you know if RSLogix can then find the license on the USB key, or is this solution only intended to move from one HD to another?

Maybe? I say this because I have not tried it ( see PDF below)