Online with Siemens STEP 7

Mr_Anderson

My background is Allen Bradley software, and I'm very confortable with it.

I'm now at the stage due to new machinery where I need to go online with STEP 7 and fault find. We have had STEP 7 for many years, but no one has really used.

I'd like to be able to go online with STEP 7. Where I have a machine running/ or down with a fault, and I can hook up and go fault finding.

So I'm wondering if somebody can walk me through this?

Processor is S7-300.
Connection I'm using is the MPI PC adaptor. I'm pretty sure I have this set up correctly.

Thank You.

Here is a general outline of how to go online. Perhaps you could indicate which steps you need detailed help with or you can find help in the online manuals.

First you need to start the Step 7 Simatic Manager.

Next you need to make sure you have communications between your PC and S7-300. In the Simatic Manager, you can open the Set PG/PC Interface utility (Options -> Set PG/PC Interface). Here you configure the communications interface you will use between your PC and PLC - in your case probably the PC Adapter with the MPI option.

Back in the Simatic Manager you need to open the project in Step 7 Simatic Manager. This presumes you have the project.

Then you need to expand the project so that you can see the contents of the Blocks folder.

Next you open the block you want to view online. I only find this useful with blocks that are written in Ladder (LAD) and sometimes Statement List (STL), as opposed to Structured Control Language (SCL). In the editor, select the network you want to view online. You can go online by selecting from the menu Debug -> Monitor. (There is a thumbnail button that has glasses on it that does the same thing.)

Maybe this can get you started.