AB Network IP Change

Mark Buskell

We have mutiple ControlLogix, Compact Logix, PanelViews (+), 504's, 30+ Ethernet PowerFlex Drives, Point I/O and such.
We were using our own IP's 192,168,1.*.
IT has decided to put all of our equipment on the comapny IP network. We do have managed switches now.

The problem will be finding every IP we have used and its over a 100. Plus every MSG block and the Panelview +'s.

Does anyone know an easy way or some utility that can look through the 5000 and extract all of its IP addresses.

Mark Buskell said:
......IT has decided to put all of our equipment on the comapny IP network.........Does anyone know an easy way or some utility that can look through the 5000 and extract all of its IP addresses.

Tell the IT department to do it :D

I don't know if it is what you are looking for as I think you may be trying to do this remote but... http://www.plctrainer.net/AutomationSupplies.htm the IP X-Press would do it fast.. but you would need to plug into each one

Do you plan to bring your whole process down for the entire time it will take to
1: Individually change each IP address and then
2: Set up new gateways/subnets as required and then
3: Modify PLC programs to suit

Or are you going to swing smaller groups groups over at a time ?

Either way that is no small task...I think GIT's suggestion is the best. Tell the IT dept to do it and then take ALL your holiday's and get as faraway as possible away from the plant for as long as possible. Come back ONLY after IT have everything working successfully.

Can you export your PLC program to a text file and the use search and replace to yopur old IP's with your new ones ?

You can generate a list of all the IP addresses by using the following, it will not tell you what they are, but it will give you a list of active IP addresses, then you can scratch them off as you find them:

Open a cmd prompt, then type in the following:

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 192.168.0.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddresses.txt

The "-n 1" is for only 1 ping packet to be sent to each device.

Change 192.168.0 to match you own Network ID.

This will ping all IP addresses on the 192.168.0.0 network segment and create a text file called IPADDRESSES.TXT in C:\, where it will list only the IP addresses that gave a reply.

You can also add a -a to the PING command to resolve all the responding IP addresses to HOST names, but doing so will cause the script to take a considerable time to finish:

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -a -n 1 192.168.0.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddresses.txt

Last edited:
been trying your trick Ken however even with a copy, paste its still showing a syntax error did find the limited Dos file on the For command still cannot narrow out the error

not really got time to try it now, but does the ethernet ip driver in rslinx not browse a local network and return all the nodes? i was under the impression it did, or thought it did? i know in the other you need to input the ip addresses you want to scan.

hopefully someone can discount or confirm this?

cheers

myles

strange like I stated I even cut and pasted it from the post which operating system are you using I've been trying it on win 98

Myles said:
not really got time to try it now, but does the ethernet ip driver in rslinx not browse a local network and return all the nodes? i was under the impression it did, or thought it did? i know in the other you need to input the ip addresses you want to scan.

hopefully someone can discount or confirm this?

Myles, you are correct and that´s what I do very often.