AB PLC 5/40e PID block; max #?

pw3

Anyone aware if there is a maximum number of PID (PD file type) loops that can be used in the 5/40e?

If someone knows, or if there is a white paper on this someplace, would appreciate it.

Thanks--

See pic below and PDF (note 399)
Memory might be a problem with this many.

Max399.jpg

Correction to the above post.
You are actully only limited by the memory
of your processor as you can have multible PD data files ( i.e PD20, PD21
etc.) Each of which can have 399 PD files. But processor memory will surely run out, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Thanks much for the info--working on a small project involving 40 or so PID's on a 5/40e. Never dealt with that many on one processor and wasn't sure what the usable ceiling was.

The PID instruction processing time for 40 loops will be significant. Read up on the execution time for the instruction and plan your application accordingly.

Paul

Another concern is handling all the (presumably) analogue inputs and outputs.
Pay attention to backplane power supply requirements and block transfer update times.