Keyence "ORL"

230grain

I am forced into using a Keyence PLC when I would prefer other brands. This because things program in different.

I am trying to program a line of logic with several contacts in paralell. I can program that in as I would on a normal PLC, but then it won't compile. It gives me an "illegal paralell connection" error. The way I have it programmed it would work fine in any other PLC.

I found in the manual an instruction called "ORL" standing for "Or Load". It seems I have to use this instruction after the last contact in the paralell line. However, I cannot figure out how to enter this instruction.

ORL is used to connect in parallel, contact blocks made up of two or more contacts.

for example:

0000 0001 500
|--||---||------------( )
| |
| 0002 0003 0004|
|--||---|/|--||-|
| |
| 0005 |
|------||-------|

converted to mnemonic list:

0000 LD 0000
0001 AND 0001
0002 LD 0002
0003 ANB 0003
0004 AND 0004
0005 ORL
0006 OR 0005
0007 OUT 500

what Keyence PLC model are you using?

sorry for the diagram, this is how it is supposed to look like:

lad_04x.JPG

I originally programed it to look like that, which is the way it would be on a normal PLC, and it doesn't complile....it gives me an error of "illegal paralell contact". Instead of drawing the vertical line it seems to want me to use this ORL instruction,but I cannot find how to enter it.

I ended up just making several rungs re-using the coil I need to energize. That is something you can do on Keyence, but not on normal PLC's. I don't like it because now there is the same coil showing up multiple times in the program complicating troubleshooting.

The PLC model is a KV-24AT.

ORL is used only if you are programming mnemonic list using the KV-P3E console. if your using the ladder builder or the newer kv builder you just have to draw the ladder diagram. as for the compiling errors, maybe you're creating a complicated network, as shown below if you tried to compile a program that is similar to my previous post, it doesn,t generate errors:
lad043.JPG

about the double coil, ladder builder will issue a warning if you use identical coils in different rungs, but it will allow you to compile and download the program without detecting errors and it would only execute the later rung when you run the program
lad044.JPG

I programmed exactly what you have there and it doesn't compile. It gives me a message "illegal parallel contact" . Perhaps this is because I am using the free version of the software. My company is too cheap to buy the newer software.

I got around this my just programming the coils I want to energize multiple times.